Heavier Fork Springs

Greg Field

Edited: First attempt at posting photos and will try again.

I sourced some 1.0 kg/mm springs of nearly identical size to those in the Billy Bob and installed them Monday night, along with 5-weight Redline fork oil. The springs were slightly shorter than stock but came with enough preload shim to make up the difference and to add more preload should it be needed.

Wee Billy felt like a new bike yesterday. Now, the front and rear are in balance, and the thing's nearly as taut as my Eldo.

The newer forks are much different than the older ones shown in the service manual. The only real trick is holding this nut while turning off the top cap.

This is much easier to do if you crank the spring peload all the way ON before making the attempt. If you do this, spring pressure will hold the wrench on the nut.

Greg, it might be easier if you use a photo hosting site like photobucket. It is easy, free, and did I mention easy? The way it works is you upload photos to that site, then just copy/paste the URL for your picture into this site. You can also use the same photo (one upload) to put pictures on multiple sites.

If you want to set up an account, I can walk you through it- just PM or email me.