Faulty ignition

Guest ANDERSON

Guest ANDERSON

Hi i have a 1997 cali ev with 4000 miles on clock,it has developed a proble with not starting,sometimes bike starts ok, then sometimes when ignition is turned on the ignition lights come on but no power to starter and fuelpump does not run.The rev counter has gone dead,anybody know of a good replacement?

Thanks

D Anderson :bier:

Hi i have a 1997 cali ev with 4000 miles on clock,it has developed a proble with not starting,sometimes bike starts ok, then sometimes when ignition is turned on the ignition lights come on but no power to starter and fuelpump does not run.The rev counter has gone dead,anybody know of a good replacement?

Thanks

88250[/snapback]

I am no expert but is it your relays that need looking at. :huh2:

Gary. Oh and welcome. Where in scotland are you

Guest Bob in CT

Thanks

88250[/snapback]

Check you neutral switch. If the side stand is out bike won't start with flakey neutral switch. Just went through this with a friends bike. We were installing a power commander and had the bike in a stand with the side stand out. Neutral light came on when we started the bike as soon as he rev up the bike it would die and not start. After checking the relays I realized the neutral light wasn't on, put the side stand up problem solved. He had a new switch but didn't have it with him. The smile on his face after test ridding with the power commander said it all :bier:

Guest Bob in CT

Thanks

88250[/snapback]

Check you neutral switch. If the side stand is out bike won't start with flakey neutral switch. Just went through this with a friends bike. We were installing a power commander and had the bike in a stand with the side stand out. Neutral light came on when we started the bike as soon as he rev up the bike it would die and not start. After checking the relays I realized the neutral light wasn't on, put the side stand up problem solved. He had a new switch but didn't have it with him. The smile on his face after test ridding with the power commander said it all :bier:

Thanks

88250[/snapback]

Relays, relays, relays.

Did I mention relays?

If the relays fitted are the O/E Siemens variety, they have a bad rep for causing all kinds of electrical grief. Usually checkable by swapping them around to isolate/cure the problem (make a note of the order they start in and where you swap them to otherwise you'll not know which is the duff one Get some equivilent Bosch or other make to carry as spares.

Having said all this my '97 Cali EV has, in 6 years of ownership and 50k miles, never crapped a relay and is still on the original battery - TPS went nasty on me at 30k though. There I've done it now, I just know the whole plot is about to go down under me this weekend. Should have kept it zipped :homer:

Graham

Did anyone mention relays?

Other common problems- bad safety interlock switches on sidestand, clutch, neutral indicator (most to least common), bad ground (which could account for your tach), or crap in the big molex connector behind the headlight. This last one you can check by moving the bars back and forth- if this makes it start, look at the connectors.