Moto Guzzi on SpeedTV (US)

jrt

Great coverage for our favorite marque! :mg:

One of the "claims to fame" was amazing to me - the Guzzi wind tunnel was the first one ever built! :helmet:

I would've thought Mercedes or maybe Auto Union would have rights to that claim?!?!

88751[/snapback]

Uh, prolly due to bad translation... 1st motorcycle manufacturer to build one, certainly. 1st automotive manufacturer to build a full-scale wind tunnel, possibly. (Altho' their bikes were built lower to the ground back then; the factory claims that the wind tunnel can't be used to design fairings for the Bikes of today 'cause the ceiling ht. is too low/bikes too tall, reportedly...)

As far as Merc or Auto Union, I'd imagine BMW being before either of them, since BMW got their start building airplane motors (witness the BMW roundel) back in WWI [& the only reason they got into building Bikes was looking for work after the end of that war & being legally prevented from further aeronautical work because of the idiotic provisions of the Versailles (non-)Treaty, which virtually guaranteed WWII... o.k., enough history lessons for today! ;)]

Wish I'd seen it, no tv right now...

:mg:

:race: That would be really cool if someone posted the show on a server for those of us who dont have Speed TV.

88825[/snapback]

I've got it taped on old school VHS. I think it will be broadcast again on Saturday 7:30 am. I can tape an extra copy and send it to someone who can do something with it - an takers?

I've got it taped on old school VHS. I think it will be broadcast again on Saturday 7:30 am. I can tape an extra copy and send it to someone who can do something with it - an takers?

88836[/snapback]

I've got a TV card in my computer, so I just recorded it straight off the satellite signal. I can write a CD for US folks, and I'll post it on my work computer as soon as I can for the rest o' ya'll. I'm not going to post it in the next day or so however- They shut down the hoods at my work (I'm a chemist) so the building is Naaassssty. I don't even want to go in for any length of time without proper ventilation. But- I'll get it there and post the addy. The reason for the PM is that I'd rather not publish the address and login if necessary.

Any other ideas? I don't do this very often, so there might be a much easier way. Staedler?

Guest ratchethack
Uh, prolly due to bad translation...

If it was an omission, it was a pretty conspicuous one...since it was a factory spokes-Guzzisti who said it...in semi-broken English....with subtitles.... -_-

I'd sure like to know how to verify this just for bar bets..... :huh2:

BTW - I'm no kinda aeronautical historian by any stretch, but seems to me you wouldn't need a wind tunnel to design & build WW I airplane motors.... :huh2:

BTW - I'm no kinda aeronautical historian by any stretch, but seems to me you wouldn't need a wind tunnel to design & build WW I airplane motors.... :huh2:

88847[/snapback]

Yeah but BMW were stoically german and wouldn't let those stinky motorcycle designers anywhere near thier pristine aircraft tunnel. Guzzi were just a bunch of perfonace nuts that wanted to go as fast as possible!

Guest cduzzi

Wind tunnel, Schmind tunnel. Who cares if Guzzi was first or not. They were extremely early anyway. And put it to very good use.

The Speed Channel show was extremely well done and enjoyable for Guzzisti. They are clearly headed in the direction that makes sense for the mark as it needs to distinguish itself in todayand tomorrow's MC market. Different from any other - that's why you'd want to ride a Moto Guzzi. :wub: