Engine Oil Level

windchill

I can't find the answer quickly, so apologise in advance for asking again if it is already there!!

The manula says that the engine oil level should be checked after running the engine for a minute or so does it not? So, that means the level will look "too full" if the bike is checked cold having stood for a while won't it?

Should I be worried that to get the right level after running the engine for perhaps 2/3 minutes, it looks over full when cold?

Guest ratchethack
Should I be worried that to get the right level after running the engine for perhaps 2/3 minutes, it looks over full when cold?

Not so daft, but how over-full does it look? If it's over the high mark when cold, IMHO it's over-full. The difference in level when cold and after running for 2-3 minutes shouldn't be more'n a half-litre, or thereabouts.....

I probably shouldn't mention this because I only know of it happening with older Guzzi's -- but with some, the first symptom of over-filling is a gorgeous trail of blue smoke trailing behind, like a Spad going down over Flanders :doh: ....don't know f'er sure if it works the same way with V11's (haven't tried it myself), but since the overflow vent from the frame oil condenser is routed directly into the airbox, I reckon it'd be likely. :huh2:

Guest ratchethack
Are we measuring "screwed in" or resting on top?

89667[/snapback]

Always measure with bike level and dipstick screwed fully in. ^_^

Guest Nogbad

I don't get a blue smoke problem but if its filled to the top mark (level ground, bike upright and plug screwed fully in) it uses oil quite rapidly until it is about half way between the marks, and then consumption stabilises.

I fill mine to v slightly over top mark & try & keep level up cos of all stories about cavitation under acceleration causing oil starvation. Engine run for a minute or less from cold, bike level, dipstick screwed home. Never given me any obvious problem.

Windchill - you're still around - I thought you'd given up on Guzzi. A couple of us were over at Ty Croes a few weeks back - not far from you?

KB :sun:

just put in 4qts and call it a day :thumbsup:

unless youre just topping it off then I'd go with a 1/4 inch or less above the line cold a lil extra never hurt anyone. (At least the V11's I hear) I went with 4 quarts and haven't noticed a thing other than it runs smoother :huh2: I guess I should be worried :unsure:

Not so daft, but how over-full does it look?  If it's over the high mark when cold, IMHO it's over-full.  The difference in level when cold and after running for 2-3 minutes shouldn't be more'n a half-litre, or thereabouts.....

I probably shouldn't mention this because I only know of it happening with older Guzzi's -- but with some, the first symptom of over-filling is a gorgeous trail of blue smoke trailing behind, like a Spad going down over Flanders :doh: ....don't know f'er sure if it works the same way with V11's (haven't tried it myself), but since the overflow vent from the frame oil condenser is routed directly into the airbox, I reckon it'd be likely. :huh2:

89421[/snapback]

Hmmmm, you and Nogbad got me thinking about my oil consumption.

I try to keep it topped up to the top of the mark, but I get plenty of oil in my airbox and high consumption. I kind of suspect the oil level but thought 95% full would be fine. :homer:

I suspect I should top it a little lower, like 3/4 full, and then maybe the consumption will drop. :huh2:

Guest Nogbad
Hmmmm, you and Nogbad got me thinking about my oil consumption.

I try to keep it topped up to the top of the mark, but I get plenty of oil in my airbox and high consumption. I kind of suspect the oil level but thought 95% full would be fine. :homer:

I  suspect I should top it a little lower, like 3/4 full, and then maybe the consumption will drop. :huh2:

89713[/snapback]

I have never noticed my bike get oil starvation on acceleration until the level is well below half.

However - Don't wheelie a V11. In fact, don't wheelie any bike that doesn't have a dry sump engine.

I have never noticed my bike get oil starvation on acceleration until the level is well below half.

However - Don't wheelie a V11. In fact, don't wheelie any bike that doesn't have a dry sump engine.

89746[/snapback]

he's got a point. I only wheelie mine when I'm at home or in the area I'm gonna park it for awhile anyway on a back road. I've had the oil light come on under accel but only when the level was low, would the FBF piston kit help eliminate this consumption problem?

Guest Nogbad
.........would the FBF piston kit help eliminate this consumption problem?

89779[/snapback]

I doubt it. Racing pistons usually run wider clearances and have fewer and narrower rings to reduce friction. My guess would be that if you fit FBF pistons the consumption will increase.