Done a search but can't find it now.....

Ballacraine

I looked for this info the other week and found some useful info....

Didn't write it down......Now I can't find it! :huh2::homer:

OK So after a few hundred miles of bouncy bouncy speedo started to read nuffink at all times. :huh:

A brief examination led me to a diagnosis of a self-disassembled angle drive.

All the bits were still present and correct so I have glued it back together for now.

Not impressed though now I get the speedo leaping downwards as I wheel it backwards, and unpleasant clicking, and back to bouncy bouncy whilst going forward.

Don't have faith that it will last long.

Will retro fitting a later cable be possible? I would like to dump this dodgy component if possible?

Any other issues I should be aware of?

Thanks for your patience and indulgence! :thumbsup:

Nige. :(

Is there something still wrong with the assembly?

Can you take it apart and check or is it now permanently glued?

It is a bit of a dodgy device, but I found it to work ok after being tied together so that it wouldn't self-disintegrate again.

speedgearparts400.jpg

Well everything seems to be located OK.

It just isn't filling me wiith confidence that it will hold together.

TBH I would rather do away with it or upgrade it if it is a possibility.

Nige. :unsure:

Can I take it this isn't a common problem then?  <_>

Nige.  :moon:

91247[/snapback]

I've not experianced this myself. I do recollect a high degree of frequency with the cables snapping, I thought it was to do with the angle the cable turns at one of the ends, but i'm not sure. I don't think the newer/older ones were interchangeable. I'm sure a search on speado will throw up a collection of threads covering this, the misting up problems - mainly tachos and pictures of TX in his swimwear :D

Will retro fitting a later cable be possible?

Any other issues I should be aware of?

90873[/snapback]

Don't the later cables break at the bend? They have a bend instead of the angle drive?

How did you lash yours together then BFG?  :huh:

91267[/snapback]

Maybe not pretty, however it has worked fine since reassembling and tieing it up – two years ago.

speedgeartie400.jpg

Seems like your problem is at the gearbox end and surely must have been caused by the mech. working apart, but it's got to be worth checking the drives at both ends of the cable, and the cable itself, and then putting it back together carefully again (especially the worm gear). I'm sure you did it carefully first time, but something is obviously wrong. Hope it hasn't been chewed up or something dropped into the box.

some more pics

Thanks very much for the comprehensive reply BFG. :thumbsup:

Aye, what keeps happening is the cap and worm drive keep popping off the metal bits of the assembly.

I'll try wiring it similar to your efforts. You have managed to get it done pretty neatly. I doubt I will be as successful! :homer:

Jeez, how naff do we have to go to hold these things together! :huh2:

Nige. :huh:

Guest ratchethack
Jeez, how naff do we have to go to hold these things together!  :huh2:

Nige.  :huh:

Nige, I'm having some difficulty picturing exactly where your problem lies....

I've got the same drive. Beyond setting the angle of the cable housing as "easy" as possible so as not to inhibit rotation, there were 2 areas of concern I've become aware of. The first is that the disk or plug that's staked into the end of the angle-drive housing can let go on the road, disgorging the worm gear and cable. Of course this'll be sure to happen when you're (for whatever reason) not spending all y'er riding time watchin' f'er it! :homer:

This happened to me and at least one other poster as I recall. The pre-emptive solution to this on my replacement drive (and his too, as I recall) was to fix the disk more firmly to the housing with a dab of JB weld. Mine has been fine ever since.

The other thing to be careful of is the tiny hardened steel washer at the lower end of the housing, which can very easily drop into the trans while y'er fiddling with it, with potentially disastrous results, if not fished out before it finds it's way between gears.... :homer:

I checked all the bits and pushed it together and tried gluing it twice unsuccessfully.

It is OK in the garage and it goes SPROING! by the time I get to the end of the road. :bbblll:

I am not convinced it works at all now TBH :moon:

Anyway, I have lockwired it into position now.

It is making cracking and graunching noises and works after a fashion in the garage.

I reckon it is thoroughly turked now TBH. :bbblll:

Going to try it this evening, but don't have high hopes!

I reckon I will lockwire the new one BEFORE it explodes!

Feckin thing! :vomit::glare:

Well happy! :not:

Nige. :huh:

It is making cracking and graunching noises

I reckon it is thoroughly turked now

91321[/snapback]

Not sounding good at all.

Did any of the bits look damaged?

Is the plastic housing cracked?

One last thought: if the gearing is slightly damaged, the plastic parts could be cleaned up a little but also if the worm at the clock end was swapped with the one in the housing, then the good parts might work together with the slightly damaged parts in each end – better than a couple of damaged parts trying to work together, if you see what I mean. Anyway, it's not ideal.

You're probably looking at a new part and then making sure that it's firmly stuck together next time.

Nige, I'm having some difficulty picturing exactly where your problem lies....

The first is that the disk or plug that's staked into the end of the angle-drive housing can let go on the road, disgorging the worm gear and cable.  Of course this'll be sure to happen when you're (for whatever reason) not spending all y'er riding time watchin' f'er it! :homer:

This happened to me and at least one other poster as I recall.  The pre-emptive solution to this on my replacement drive (and his too, as I recall) was to fix the disk more firmly to the housing with a dab of JB weld.  Mine has been fine ever since.

Well that hasn't happened......YET! ..So I will probbably cake the new one in araldite there just to be sure, to be sure! :rolleyes:

The other thing to be careful of is the tiny hardened steel washer at the lower end of the housing, which can very easily drop into the trans while y'er fiddling with it, with potentially disastrous results, if not fished out before it finds it's way between gears.... :homer:

91320[/snapback]

Hmmmm wonder where that is then? :huh:

Probably spat itself down the road the first time it exploded? :unsure:

Nige. :(

Not sounding good at all.

Did any of the bits look damaged?

Is the plastic housing cracked?

One last thought: if the gearing is slightly damaged, the plastic parts could be cleaned up a little but also if the worm at the clock end was swapped with the one in the housing, then the good parts might work together with the slightly damaged parts in each end – better than a couple of damaged parts trying to work together, if you see what I mean. Anyway, it's not ideal.

You're probably looking at a new part and then making sure that it's firmly stuck together next time.

91328[/snapback]

Housing is cracked. Probably what allowed it to be spat off it the first place? :huh:

I think it is time for a new assembly. Shame there isn't an alternative cable that fits...Apparently the thumbwheel nut thread is a different diameter on the later boxes.

I wonder if an adaptor could be fabricated? :unsure:

Luigi has this one sewn up good and proper! :not:

Never had this problem on the old Tonti 5 speeders......

Ah them were the days!

Bouncy bouncy needle all day long....Not a problem :grin:

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Appreciated! :thumbsup:

Nige. B)