fuel leak v11

Guest SFGUZZI

Guest SFGUZZI

Ok i seem to have fuel leak from the line "IN" the tank,this is the line that the rollover valve is connected too,when you open the cap its the molded line on the "RIGHT" side,seems someone "prior owner" apparently tried to push this line off and poked a hole in it,so when i do fillups i have fuel pouring out the rollover line,

Can anyone recommend an expoxy or plastic welding to repair this line,is it plastic or some sort of resin material.???

Help...!!!!!!

Thanks

SF

Guest SFGUZZI
Are you overfilling?

91166[/snapback]

Belfast.

no im not ,the line is punctured about an inch down from the top of the tank,any ideas on fixing the puncture.material../??

You mean inside the tank? The internal pipe is punctured, inside the tank – and so it leaks as you fill the tank? I didn't quite get what you were talking about, when you talked about prying the pipes off.

I think that you mean the moulded pipe inside the tank. White / natuarl colour? It's an integral part of the tank mould and it doesn't come off. It's bad news if it's punctured, but not a disaster.

If it were me, I would have a go at melting the plastic back together – if it's a small puncture. It'd try it carefully on a little bit first to see if it would work. There are epoxys that are meant to be suitable for fuel tanks, so one of those could be tried too, or as well as the melt, though I don't know how well it would adhere to that plastic (some form of nylon?).

The fall-back would be to block-off the tube outlet, where it comes out the bottom of the tank. Then the puncture doesn't matter. Screw a suitable bolt into the outlet and seal it. You don't need that stuff that the American bikes come with, do you? The Euro bikes don't have anything at all connected to the outlet. As long as you have the other tube acting as an overflow drain, you should be ok.

There are epoxies specially formulated for use in gas tanks (do NOT ask me how I know!). Check your local auto parts store and ask for assistance if needed. The hardest part will be the surface prep down inside the tank and the application of the epoxy. Good luck!

Depending upon where it is, something else that you might try would be to take a piece of rubber, off a fuel pipe, say, and clamp it over the puncture hole with a small jubilee clip.