Hot Cams

jtucker

Didn't want to hijack the previous thread any more... :D

From the Megacycle horse's mouth:

http://www.guzzitech.com/Files/megacams.pdf

FWIW - my project includes the RR3 (x8) cam.  Nasty.  Fun.

91639[/snapback]

Pierre, the RR3 should be interesting... what else do you have lined up to go along with it? I'm assuming this is for the Sporti?

__Jason

Pierre, the RR3 should be interesting...
Here's the whole story to date. A solid 90 RWHP.

http://www.guzzitech.com/Sporti-EngMods_PierreP.html

what else do you have lined up to go along with it?
Jason, the entire motor is at Mike Rich's as we type. Heads have been flowed (full screw and glue) but some valve clearance issues prompted a return of whole assembly to Mike - he's sending it back shortly. His pistons (calculated CR 11/1) will be installed, as well as his titanium push rods, and of course valves, guides and springs.

Before I sent the heads off, I'd installed a PCIII USB. Just downloaded old (regular PCIII) map, but since then have had bungs welded on both header pipes so I'll be able to map each cylinder separately now. The tranny went off to Charley Cole and came back a couple of weeks later completely rebuilt - so that should be sweet.

Won't have definitive answers on performance until it all comes back and gets bolted together. I'll update when it's finished. Obvious target is 100 RWHP. We'll see. FWIW, I'd already done close to 20K miles with the RR3 - including a cross country jaunt of 6000 miles. No problems. I like the power characteristic.

It's cost me a lot to get to this point - and I still have an ignition map to play with. But once done I think it'll be perfectly street able and real strong. Anyone doing what I did - and not trying to extemporize too much - should be able to avoid all the expensive mistakes I made and get it done pretty reasonably. PCIII was (and remains) the key to making everything work well.

Nice!

I've had all sorts of delays, but I'm hoping to get my V11S back on the road this summer. Next step for me is to send the heads off to Mike Rich for his magic. Also planning to go with his Ti pushrods and hi-comp pistons.

So far, I've got carillo rods, Raceco aluminum timing gears, the 620x10 cam. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do about the ECU... I'm considering either Cliff's My15M, or taking the bike to Doug Lofgren to do a FIM reflash of the stock ECU. I've thought about a PC (I have one on the Monster) but that won't let me adjust the timing.

No real HP goals (triple digits would be nice, but I'm not counting on it). I'm just hoping to get about as much out of it as I can, but still keep it suitable for daily street riding.

I like your approach. Heads are where the power's at - and cam sits right in the middle of that equation.

I like Cliff's MY computer - but as much as I beg him to - he hasn't gotten around to making it tuning link compatible. I think his next iteration WILL have individual cylinder mapping - pretty important I'm beginning to think. As you know - on the WM16 the timing can be altered on the chip - so until Cliff gets it all working I'm probably staying with what I have.

Good luck. Fun stuff. Always twice (3X?) as expensive and time consuming as expected. Look forward to learning how your mods work for you.

Nice!

I've had all sorts of delays, but I'm hoping to get my V11S back on the road this summer. Next step for me is to send the heads off to Mike Rich for his magic. Also planning to go with his Ti pushrods and hi-comp pistons.

So far, I've got carillo rods, Raceco aluminum timing gears, the 620x10 cam. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do about the ECU... I'm considering either Cliff's My15M, or taking the bike to Doug Lofgren to do a FIM reflash of the stock ECU. I've thought about a PC (I have one on the Monster) but that won't let me adjust the timing.

No real HP goals (triple digits would be nice, but I'm not counting on it). I'm just hoping to get about as much out of it as I can, but still keep it suitable for daily street riding.

91655[/snapback]

Dont mean to rain on anyone's parade, but dealing with Megacycle on a direct basis is a pain... maybe some Guzzi guys ( MPH, Moto International, Mike Rich, Todd at Guzzitech)have some ready made Megacycle cams on hand that can be used, otherwise, based on my experience they only want to do large orders,are not very cooperative otherwise and if I was doing a V11 motor performance setup, would look elsewere..This is from someone who was taking Ducati rockers, cams etc to be done at Megacycle( who, by the way is located 5 minutes from where I live) since the late 70's...and with excellent service ... the last Guzzi cam quote I got from them was about 900-1000 USD and they were hardly interested on doing the job..why, I was told was because of the cost to set up for Guzzi cams, which they claimed did not have any blanks (pre grinding) in stock...maybe someone comes up with a better solution..I would sure love to hear about it...

Anyone tried these cams with a big bore kit? ie 1134,
Not me.

what about running ligthened flywheels?

Ergal's lightest (further lightened by Stein Dinse) and a lightened starter ring gear.

What do you think about the titanium rods?  Are they quiet?  I have a set that I bought from Manfred Hecht (a loong time ago) but I've never installed them.

J

91694[/snapback]

Not yet. Mike is installing those for me right now. I've talked to him about them at some length, as I've heard negative reports. He insists it's install error - setting the (lash?) improperly. Says to insist that his instructions, which come with each set, are followed exactly. Apparently most shops just drop 'em in and set 'em to standard spec. But I'll know more once I get it back in the bike and fire it up. I'll let you know.

BTW - I think Manfred produced chrome moly push rods. Very stiff but VERY heavy. Are you sure yours aren't chrome moly?

FWIW - the only power enhancement is the flowed heads and the cam. Raised compression (with dual plugs) may help mid range. Lightened flywheel / ring gear and connecting rods put more of the HP to the rear wheel on acceleration. And the rest - vlave springs, ti push rods, timing gears, - those are done to increase the precision of the valve train, important when pistons and valves begin to dance in close proximity. Especially near red line as this bike will have a new red line of around 8400.

YOU MANIAC!!!!
Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

maniac

2 entries found for maniac.

1 : MADMAN, LUNATIC

2 : a person characterized by an inordinate or ungovernable enthusiasm for something

I humbly agree.

I smell 100 HP :D
I'm hopeful. Funny how an idea becomes a goal becomes an obsesion. See MANIAC above.

Might be fun to run at Bonneville Salt Flats  :helmet:
At this point David, I'll be happy just to see it running in San Diego.

BTW, the heads flow pretty much what the LSR bike flow's. I don't know what else was done to the LSR bike, and Sid (a baloonatic in his own right) has never revealed exactly what was done to it as far as I know.

BTW, the heads flow pretty much what the LSR bike flow's.  I don't know what else was done to the LSR bike, and Sid (a baloonatic in his own right) has never revealed exactly what was done to it as far as I know.

91704[/snapback]

For anyone interested in the LSR details.

...but what is the deal with them not doing anything in three years?!?!?!?

http://www.cookedgoose.org/

postcard1b.jpg