Fork/Rear Shock Settings

supchu5150

What are some of the typical settings that have worked for you guys on the compression and rebound settings on the front forks and rear shock. How much static sag on the rear. Thanks for some ideas. I have been experimenting with my 2002 LeMans, but seem to be making it worse.

What are some of the typical settings that have worked for you guys on the compression and rebound settings on the front forks and rear shock. How much static sag on the rear. Thanks for some ideas. I have been experimenting with my 2002 LeMans, but seem to be making it worse.

91750[/snapback]

what are you making worse? is it choppy and nervous with a lot of understeer? slow steering?

The most usual problem seems to be too hard damping and a sloppy rear spring.

if you're a big guy you probably need to tighten the rear spring adjustment a whole lot, that will heighten the rear and give more weight on front wheel and improve the steering a lot. thereafter: loosen damping all around, it doesnt need to be rock hard, but compliant

thats first aid which made a lot of difference for me at least. then theres loads of more scientific and advanced things to do.

do a search in here for damper settings. some guy from australia had a great post about it.

not to mention setting the sag correctly... which in my case was about 20-40mms rear and a bit less up front

and changing fork springs.... which I also did, and reccommend.

and dropping the fork in the triple trees a couple of mm...

Guest geno929

I had the Devil of a time getting the suspension settings correct for my V11 Sport. I had to set and reset the suspension, ride it for a few miles and then adjust again. Being an ex racer, I thought that I needed to tighten up most of the settings. Boy, was I wrong. I set the sag, front and rear @ 35mm each. First the front needed to be loosened up, both compression and rebound. I didn't change the fork oil yet, but I will. Next winter. Then the rear: I loosened up preload, loosened up rebound and turned "extension" all the way up. I have the "Sachs-Boge" shock. Well, after much tinkering I've got it about right. The thing that made the most difference in drivability for me was a change to Dunlop 208 tires. I did not like the Pirelli's at all! Now turn in is very sharp and controlable. The "wiggle" has all but disappeared and the bike dosen't want to drift wide at apex. I think that you need to use the trial and error approch with the assistance from some friends that ride and/or race to set it up correctly for you. As far as exact clicks out/in, it really starts with setting the sag for you and all your gear, then making small adjustments etc, etc, etc. Good luck!

Thanks guys for the ideas. I do not think the sag is set properly, Ill give that a try first. My compaliant is this, on turn in the bike wants to stand up in the corner. I feel as I am pulling it all the way into the corner, I would like it to be more "neutral feeling". My Ducati is much more neutral, of course it is lighter and has a shorter steering angle.

Thanks guys for the ideas. I do not think the sag is set properly, Ill give that a try first. My compaliant is this, on turn in the bike wants to stand up in the corner. I feel as I am pulling it all the way into the corner, I would like it to be more "neutral feeling". My Ducati is much more neutral, of course it is lighter and has a shorter steering angle.

92108[/snapback]

the guzzi wont ever be a ducati, but I belive you can make it handle predictably and solid with near neutral feel. when its right its like riding a train through a fast sweeper. nothing shakes it out of line.

what you describe is what I experienced. my bike was rock hard in all damper settings as well, which made it dangerously nervous. the jacking up of the rear spring helped me a lot, but I probably need to lower the fork in the triple trees as well. I noticed yesterday that when the gas tank is empty, the bike is again becoming the slow steering behemoth. more weight on the front is needed.

92108[/snapback]

Laden sag should be between 25-33% of total travel.

Like Geno says tyres make a huge difference - by type, size & pressures. What tyres you got? I've used 020, Diablo, Power2CT & now Sport Attacks. Of these the Power2CT's were by far quickest turners. Sport Attacks are much slower but very neutral in feel.

Going to a 170 rear gives a much more balanced (front/rear) turn in but 170 is not available in most sticky tyres.

I dropped triple clamps on forks (Scura Ohlins about 12mm as I recall). Made a big improvement on getting front planted into a corner & staying on line. If you do this, watch all clearances - wheel to frame & bike to ground when ridden.

It really helps to use body weight - get yourself as far forward over front, & low onto side you're turning (you don't have to hang off) as you can. V11 wt is v rear biased.

Again, as Geno says, I've found softish settings on damping help handling feel - as long as tyres are good it's good to have bike tracking the surface & moving around a bit rather than bouncing along off the bumps.

KB :sun:

The tires that are currently on the bike are Metzeler Sporttec M-1's. They were a great improvement over the Pirelli's that came on it. The Metzeler's are now in need of replacement, which is what got me going on trying to make it handle a bit better. New rubber is going on soon so I am going to give fork/shock adjustments another try. :race: