Need Hyd Clutch help

Guest Jeff in Ohio

This is for 5 speeds (Cali's, Centauros, older spots etc.)  Need help with the German translation:

http://www.moto-spezial.de/F6055.html

Says it uses radiator fluid?  Any of you European guys ever seen one of these?  Looks pretty trick...

92007[/snapback]

It's a made up kit of modified proprietary parts. The reason for using antifreeze is that the rubber in one of the cylinders is not oil proof, the other is not brake fluid proof. You could use any liquid but antifreeze has a reasonably high boiling point.

I assume the kits at the bottom are the slave cyliinders with hydraulic hose. Can't see any other reason for a difference between clipons and touring bars. Take your pick of masters from the list above.

Seems like a reasonable price. Nice idea for clutch free play adjustment.

mike

Guest Jeff in Ohio
It's a made up kit of modified proprietary parts.  The reason for using antifreeze is that the rubber in one of the cylinders is not oil proof, the other is not brake fluid proof.  You could use any liquid but antifreeze has a reasonably high boiling point.

I assume the kits at the bottom are the slave cyliinders with hydraulic hose.  Can't see any other reason for a difference between clipons and touring bars.  Take your pick of masters from the list above.

Seems like a reasonable price.  Nice idea for clutch free play adjustment.

mike

92009[/snapback]

hmmm, if it uses standard size O-rings for seals, they are all readily available in EPDM (ethylene propoylene) from lpaces like www.mcmaster.com

DEthylene Propoylene is the material of choice when brake fluid is involved. I sent them an e-mail. Hoepfully they can speak english. If it uses standard o-rings and he ships to the USA, I'm buying one....

hmmm, if it uses standard size O-rings for seals, they are all readily available in EPDM (ethylene propoylene) from lpaces like www.mcmaster.com

DEthylene Propoylene is the material of choice when brake fluid is involved.  I sent them an e-mail.  Hoepfully they can speak english.  If it uses standard o-rings and he ships to the USA, I'm buying one....

92034[/snapback]

The pressure seals are more like cups than o-rings. Designed so that, as the pressure increases, the seal gets better. O rings would leak like a fish's bladder under pressure, although they might be used as backup to prevent stuff getting on the bore. You still might be able to get hold of replacements for the cup seals. But it's not a problem to use antifreeze, if the rest of the system is properly designed.

(Note the above is CUP seals, not CUB......)

mike

Guest Jeff in Ohio
The pressure seals are more like cups than o-rings.  Designed so that, as the pressure increases, the seal gets better.  O rings would leak like a fish's bladder under pressure, although they might be used as backup to prevent stuff getting on the bore.  You still might be able to get hold of replacements for the cup seals.  But it's not a problem to use antifreeze, if the rest of the system is properly designed.

(Note the above is CUP seals, not CUB......)

mike

92039[/snapback]

I figured it out. They sent me an instruction sheet. The assembly replaces the outer body with a housing. the OD of the housing as an o-ring that seals in the counterbore of the transcover left by removing the ounter body. Inside this housing is a piston with a quad ring that pushes on another piece that acts thru teh stock needle thrust bearing that pushes on the inner body. On one side of the quad ring is ethylene glycol from the clutch master cylinder. the other side of the piston is exposed to the inside of the trans and thus, trans fluid. EPDM seals while safe for brake fluid use are not compatible with any oils. Since the quad ring has trans oil on one side, teh EPDM seal wiould swell like a baloon and seize the assembly. Ethelyne glycol however is compatible with every seal knwon to man, including the EPDM ones in your hand master cylinder. I was unable to find any seal material you could use that is compatible with trans fluid AND brake fluid. About the only real 'oil' that could be used would be silicone oil (NOT the same as DOT 5 though!!) as the master cylinder seals and slave cylinder seals would both be compatible with it....

This is for 5 speeds (Cali's, Centauros, older spots etc.)  Need help with the German translation:

http://www.moto-spezial.de/F6055.html

Says it uses radiator fluid?  Any of you European guys ever seen one of these?  Looks pretty trick...

92007[/snapback]

Jeff, check out the translation, courtesy of Babelfish (www.altavista.com)

----------------

moto specially GmbH, Uracher STR. 23, 72532 Gomadingen, 14.06.06

Hydraulic clutch for Guzzis

The hydraulic clutch manipulation consists of 2 hydraulic units.

Master cylinder

Nehmerzylinder (??)

These are connected by a pressure pipe.

The function of the clutch separation is realized hydraulically thereby. I.e. the master cylinder displaces liquid, which the nehmerzylinder (??) converts in mechanical motion during operation.

Thus the clutch is separated. The stroke thereby amounts to approx. 2,5-3mm.

The used liquid with the Guzzi solution is radiator liquid like one it from the motorcar radiator knows. (with conventional systems brake fluid) this has the following reason:

The used rubber parts are brake fluid compatibly however not oil compatible in the giving cylinder. In contrast to it the rubber parts oil-compatibly used in the nehmerzylinder are however not brake fluid compatible. There in the transmission however oil is gives it a boundary surface between oil and the hydraulic system. The radiator liquid is however a liquid, which is compatible with both rubber places. This liquid is applicable also at temperatures to approx. 130°C.

The advantages of the hydraulic clutch:

accurately defined pressure point

State of the art with the new Big bikes

unproblematic assembly

outstanding dosage

thus clutch-carefully

no wearing, or clever clutch courses more

Hand strength continuously approx. 75Nm

------------------------------

Søren