screw-hammer

docc

My brother has run across a reference to this tool in the HG Wells novel "Wheels of Chance." Apparently a Britsh thing, has anyone a clue?

:2c: I would think a slide hammer. The rod would screw in to what ever you wanted to remove and then slide a weight along the length hitting a stop at the other end, there by hammering outwards. Sorry if the explanation is stating the obvious but we have a "common" language. I know you've had previous fun at my expense with the "Jubilee"/ Hose clip :D

Screw Hammer - specialy designed hammer for striking the end of bolts- eg :mg: spindle removal, without totaly destroying the thread ends so the nut will still go back on.

If it's one of these I could do with one :D

Three guesses, one of them might be correct.

My brother has run across a reference to this tool in the HG Wells novel "Wheels of Chance." Apparently a Britsh thing, has anyone a clue?

92224[/snapback]

Hear is an excerpt from the book that mentions the screw hammer. Maybe it will help.

Wheels of Chance

It seems to be a sort of adjustable wrench with a hammer head built into it.

Guest Nogbad

I think it is an early adjustable wrench. These things look just like a hammer in profile and some had a thicker pad on the back of the fixed jaw so that you could use it as a hammer as well as a spanner.

I think the original of these wrenches was introduced by Abingdon King D1ck which is still making tools today.

I will try to find a picture. (Stupid swear filter - Do we have to put up with this nannying censorship Jaap??)

d958a955a4fa4170e62c8751747cbf83.jpg

I think it is an early adjustable wrench. These things look just like a hammer in profile and some had a thicker pad on the back of the fixed jaw so that you could use it as a hammer as well as a spanner.

92233[/snapback]

Nice. I use some of those lads at home.

Great looking tools. Sometimes called a Ford wrench in America.

Here is another version of screw hammer albeit a little bit more modern!

Screw Hammer

I quite enjoy the quote at the bottom of the page:

"When you have a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail."

I have a "Miners wrench" at home that is act6ually made for mine workers and is an adjustable (or crescent) wrench with a hammer head built into it and a spanner built into the handle. It is used for basic tasks on underground machinery. I'll try and get a picture for the forum.

edit: similar to this

402D12.jpg

Thanks , lads! I've given my brother a link to come see your responses. From sliding dogs and screw-hammers to the Dutch soccer team, we are an eclectic bunch! :bier: