Hurricane Alberta

helicopterjim R.I.P.

why did they move the team to north carolina again? how is that a bigger market for hockey than hartford. I mean a small market to a new small market*being its southern) makes no sence other than the owners ego and what he got out of it(new stadium maybe) the way thier ass's are kissed I'd like to see teams owned by cities like greenbay or not allowed to just up and move but close down and dismantle if they have to.  :huh2:

stupid pro sports, you should see the ratings these both got, combined. not as high as a CSI rerun.  :glare:

92819[/snapback]

BEN!!!

Its obvious you aren't from Raleigh, NC. First let's get the stats straight, Raleigh has a population of over 270,000, Hartford, CT is around 113,000 and Greenbay weighs in at a whopping 108,000. This means, that Hartford is not a major TV market, no matter the climate. To create an NHL hockey franchise requires 12,000 season ticket holders, the Carolina Hurricanes exceeded this number their first year in Raleigh. The decision to move had nothing to do with ego, however it may have been money related. The franchise never made a profit until this year's successful run at the cup, ironically that occurred in North Carolina. While in Hartford, they only recorded three winning seasons in 18 years, missed the playoffs ten times and only once won a playoff series (no not the Stanley Cup, just the first round). Sounds like they just needed a fresh start - not an ass kissing. Additionally, there were 4 other teams within 2 hours of Hartford. Why not spread out

the league - again seems like a good business decision rather than the brown-nosing you have suggested. I am not sure why the climate has anything to do with the success of a hockey team. Are you saying that just because it reaches 90 degrees in North Carolina, that we are limited in understanding or supporting a hockey team- that's a very limited view. Keep in mind that Tampa Bay (Florida) won the last championship. Maybe the

tide is turning and you'll just need to get used to it. :bbblll:

Proud Carolina Hurricanes Fan and North Carolina native :bier:

BEN!!!

Its obvious you aren't from Raleigh, NC.  First let's get the stats straight, Raleigh has a population of over 270,000, Hartford, CT is around 113,000 and Greenbay weighs in at a whopping 108,000.  This means, that Hartford is not a major TV market, no matter the climate.  To create an NHL hockey franchise requires 12,000 season ticket holders, the Carolina Hurricanes exceeded this number their first year in Raleigh.  The decision to move had nothing to do with ego, however it may have been money related.  The franchise never made a profit until this year's successful run at the cup, ironically that occurred in North Carolina.  While in Hartford, they only recorded three winning seasons in 18 years, missed the playoffs ten times and only once won a playoff series (no not the Stanley Cup, just the first round).  Sounds like they just needed a fresh start - not an ass kissing.  Additionally, there were 4 other teams within 2 hours of Hartford.  Why not spread out

the league - again seems like a good business decision rather than the brown-nosing you have suggested. I am not sure why the climate has anything to do with the success of a hockey team.  Are you saying that just because it reaches 90 degrees in North Carolina, that we are limited in understanding or supporting a hockey team- that's a very limited view.  Keep in mind that Tampa Bay (Florida) won the last championship. Maybe the

tide is turning and you'll just need to get used to it.  :bbblll: 

Proud Carolina Hurricanes Fan and North Carolina native  :bier:

92837[/snapback]

HAVE you seen the stadiums of southern teams, stanley cup champs aside(but it tapers off from them too) that the crowds are pathetic!!! the MN wild have been completely sold out since they started and the waiting list for season tickets rivaled only be the red soxs. I know plenty of ppl that were hartfod fans. You are a rare southern breed and I salute you but after the initial craze wears off southern states don't care about hockey. The owners and the league might think so but in the long run I feel these southern teams are supported almost as much by notherners buying thier wears as the southerners buying tickets, I think the future of hockey with all these southern teams is bleek in the US. The ratings are in the toilet and the teams are constantly losing money. I'd rather have seen the north stars or the Jets or the whale dismantled and closed than moved on down elpaso way. :angry:

HAVE you seen the stadiums of southern teams, stanley cup champs aside(but it tapers off from them too) that the crowds are pathetic!!! the MN wild have been completely sold out since they started and the waiting list for season tickets rivaled only be the red soxs. I know plenty of ppl that were hartfod fans. You are a rare southern breed and I salute you but after the initial craze wears off southern states don't care about hockey. The owners and the league might think so but in the long run I feel these southern teams are supported almost as much by notherners buying thier wears as the southerners buying tickets, I think the future of hockey with all these southern teams is bleek in the US. The ratings are in the toilet and the teams are constantly losing money. I'd rather have seen the north stars or the Jets or the whale dismantled and closed than moved on down elpaso way.  :angry:

92867[/snapback]

Size doesn't always matter - The Carolina Hurricanes broke the record for the loudestarena in all professional sports. It can only serve to help the NHL if the league is in all markets - certainly there are growing pains with the introduction of anything new but that doesn't mean our fans aren't as enthusiastic as those in Minnesota. I would doubt you would know, how many Hurricanes games have you attended?

Your lack of desire to expand the league to all regions of the country clearly shows that you don't truly back the sport of NHL hockey because expansion is the best vehicle for growth and knowledge.

Furthermore it sounds to me like you are just a little bitter....

And I quote...

"Hopes were raised in December of 1996 when Peter Karmanos, the owner of the Hartford Whalers, indicated that he considered St. Paul to be a very viable place to move his team.

In 1997 efforts were made to get state money to either renovate the existing arena or to construct a new one.

Both of these efforts failed. People seeking to secure a team for St. Paul were again faced with disappointment when in May of 1997 it was announced that Raleigh, North Carolina would be the new home for the Whalers."

Seems the NHL, and a brilliant business man, Peter Karmanos, thought North Carolina would be a better home than Minnesota and clearly the fans supported his decision where efforts in Minnesota [oh yea] "failed."

I am sure that's a decision he's even more sure of today given the circumstances. We certainly are.

I'm not going to fight about it, or argue semantics (at least any further) soccer hooligans are nothing compared to a true hockey fan, maybe I am bitter, bitter the stars left for a "bigger" market when really they wanted a new state paid for stadium, I wonder if I can get the state to buy me a building and I'll put a business inside of it free of charge the taxpayers can put it up and then pay to get inside. I don't know how this whole ball of garbage of coddling sports teams started but when I think about it that way I want them all to leave. :huh2:

red McCombs wanted to move the Vikings to Austin or some crap next to the texans and football isn't exactly spread out in the east coast how many teams within 2 hour radius? I'm just all a flustered when I get on this stupid subject because I shouldn't care but for some reason I do. :homer:

I'm not going to fight about it, or argue semantics (at least any further) soccer hooligans are nothing compared to a true hockey fan, maybe I am bitter, bitter the stars left for a "bigger" market when really they wanted a new state paid for stadium, I wonder if I can get the state to buy me a building and I'll put a business inside of it free of charge the taxpayers can put it up and then pay to get inside. I don't know how this whole ball of garbage of coddling sports teams started but when I think about it that way I want them all to leave.  :huh2:

red McCombs wanted to move the Vikings to Austin or some crap next to the texans and football isn't exactly spread out in the east coast how many teams within 2 hour radius? I'm just all a flustered when I get on this stupid subject because I shouldn't care but for some reason I do.  :homer:

92886[/snapback]

No fighting words here, just very excited about a championship well deserved. I'd rather just let the Hurricanes and the Wild duke it out next time.

I'm glad the Whale..uh...Hurricanes won. They've won enough cups in Edmonton back when Wayne whats his name was there.

My biggest gripe with the NHL is the season is waaay too long. By late June who gives a d*mn about hockey other than the home cities? I'm a life long player and fan and even I couldn't be bothered to watch most of the playoffs. A few years ago when I was watching the Bruins lose yet another first round matchup the announcers said "...and on this day in 1972 the Bruins won the Stanley Cup!" I think that was early in May. Why do they have to play into almost July nowadays? Oh yeah, $$$$...