New Tires

Guest philbo

Guest philbo

I just got back from getting some new Michelin Pilot Powers put on. I spent a quick 20 minutes in the twisties and I've got to say - these things are pretty damned impressive. I attribute some of that to the fact that they're new but even so, the bike runs like it's on rails.

Does anyone have any thoughts on tire pressures? I'm assuming the same as I've always used (35 rear 33 front) but I'm not sure and I can't seem to find much information on the subject.

Is anyone else running the Pilots?

Thanks

Phil

I have the powers on my bike as well. I agree they are incredible...especially on our wet roads around here. I am running 34 front and 37 rear. I found some tire pressures at one point on the German (I think) version of the Michelin web site. For some reason they don't show the pressures for our bikes on the American web site.

Randy

On their website Michelin recommend 2.3/2.5 bar f/r (33.5/36lb) for road - same as Guzzi recommended pressures.

I had Pilot Power 2CT's. Fantastic grip. V quick steering. Will whiteline a bit - not sure if cos of the pointy profile or longditudinal tread pattern or both...but fairly sensitive to tyre pressures - other than that no problems. Got around 60% the miles I'd get out of a Diablo - but grip is in a different league. On track they were great. They warmed up v quick & didn't overheat. Not used them in the wet. Maybe they have too much grip for the road...you get crazy lean & speed on them. Haven't tried ordinary Pilot Powers.

KB :sun:

I have the pilots on the Rosso and agree they are a great tire! I run 34 front and 36 rear and that seems to work well. I have also heard the conti road attacks are an excellent tire, but IMHO these Pilots would be hard to beat.

waspp

With all due respect to the fine folks at Michelin I opted for a pair of Diablos on my '02 LeMans. I just figured an italian bike should wear italian shoes. The Diablos are head & shoulders above the stock Bridgestones. The bike used to steer like a truck through corners, slow & heavy. With the Diablos it doesn't even feel like a 500 pound bike.

I just figured an italian bike should wear italian shoes. The Diablos are head & shoulders above the stock Bridgestones. The bike used to steer like a truck through corners, slow & heavy. With the Diablos it doesn't even feel like a 500 pound bike.

A very light feel and quick steering I got on the Metzelers M1 on mine and though they got a 60 profile (than the 70's used on my Sport i from factory) thay have a fast steering geometry (radius) and that seemed to show.

The bike did overhelming well with both, grip and stability and as well as braking. I will switch back to these series I think.

Definatelly better than the diablo (D.corsa at the front) ,that I wear now

And the new M3 is perhaps another option to try.(anyone did yet?)

:bier:

Guest philbo

I went with the 36/34 combo and after 200 miles, I'm still very impressed with them. I guess everyone seems to agree that give or take, most sports tires are pretty good these days and - the tires that MG ships on the bikes new - are less good.

Thanks for the input.