Internal Fuel Filter

Allan56

Well I think that despite buying my LeMans in 2002, I must have a 2003 model. They must ship early to Australia to make sure they get here in time. :D Always classed the LeMans as a 2002 but as I understand from most of the reading about specs etc I think it's classed as a 2003 model.

I understand the 2003 model came with the first internal fuel pump/filter. Is that right?

Anyway, question. I want to change the fuel filter but don't want to rush in (excuse the pun). :) Any secrets once the tank is off. Is there a replacement seal/gasket between the bottom plate and tank? how does the filter connect to the pump etc.

I generally prefer to have the parts on hand before I pull anything apart so any help would be appreciated before I rip it out.

Allan

Anyway, question. I want to change the fuel filter but don't want to rush in (excuse the pun). :)  Any secrets once the tank is off. Is there a replacement seal/gasket between the bottom plate and tank? how does the filter connect to the pump etc.

I generally prefer to have the parts on hand before I pull anything apart so any help would be appreciated before I rip it out.

Allan

92595[/snapback]

Allan,

The internal pump uses a thick rubber gasket.

I have never seen one leak.

The filter is a Knecht KL145.

In the US, it runs about $55 from Guzzi,

about $15 from BMW (K-bikes and oilheads)

BMW p/n 16 14 2 325 859. Exact same filter

p.s, got your payment, shims ship soon.

Todd:

What're you guys using ofr hose and clamps on these things? We've had another rash of aiures recently, and as I'll soon be heading off deep into the wilds of Mt. St. Helens, it's got me worried. What if that sucker blows again, and I'm stranded as a result of one of these failed hoses? I'd be hosed, I guess.

Todd:

What're you guys using ofr hose and clamps on these things?

92609[/snapback]

Greg,

We use a BMW hose designed for in-tank use in both cars and bikes.

Also use BMW clamps, screw type- not the "Oetiker" style crimp clamps used by Guzzi.

Will post numbers tomorrow.

We had zero in-tank hose failures from 03 till about April 06.

7 since then. All on Californias, none on V11 variants, oddly enough :huh2:

BTW, they started putting 10% corn liquor in our gas in mid-March.

Coincidence?, I think not.

Mike's 80K BMW 1100Gs with plastic tank formed blisters on the outer surface of the paint, which oozed gas through the plastic of the tank. Much like a bad sunburn,

but oozing gasoline. Very nice. Replaced with used tank(metal)

No V11 tanks causing us problems yet, it appears to be a different plastic.

Thanks, Archer Daniels Midland. :(