speedometer cables

Beuphonium

Greetings-

Is it normal for a speedometer cable to snap at the trans end after 3300 miles? :huh2::huh2: I figured it may have had something to do with the faring install, but a snap about 3" up from the transmission? it was routed the same as before....

-Joe K

84 V65SP

04 Cafe Sport

Guest Rocker
Greetings-

Is it normal for a speedometer cable to snap at the trans end after 3300 miles?  :huh2:  :huh2: I figured it may have had something to do with the faring install, but a snap about 3" up from the transmission? it was routed the same as before....

-Joe K

84 V65SP

04 Cafe Sport

94107[/snapback]

Joe K, Good Morning (UK time).

You will hear this a thousand times, BUT, MG have finally realised that a 20 degree kink in the cable enforced by a micky mouse metal ferrel is only a good design for the cable manufacturers.

A replacement cable "kink free" is available here in the UK so I imagine itis over there.

Just look up the web page of any UK spares (e.g. Motomecca).

Use a minimal amount of graphite grease to lubricate first.

Goog luck.

Rockerob.

Hi to all,

Witch is the best way to lubricate the speedometer cable?  :luigi: 

I never do it before and I have noticed lately a little shake in the needle at low speed  :huh: 

Regards,

94130[/snapback]

Yes, I got that a couple of hundred miles before the angle drive exploded! :moon:

Nige. :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

Well, installed the new speedometer cable today.

It lasted 90.3 miles before it too snapped, this time right under the gauge.

Not a happy camper having just dropped $30 on a new cable... I will have to re-think this it seems.

My first cable broke after 37,000km which is O.K.

I replaced it with similar and had three issues:

The old cable broke leaving about 10 mm of the insert up in the speedometer which left me wondering how the new cable would fit :huh2:

The routing of the cable between the ignition coils and the spine frame was tricky as the coils had to be unbolted.

The offset drive at the gearbox decided to voluntarily split into its metal and plastic halfs (this has been well documented by Belfast Guzzi). I found a fix......clean and degrease individual parts using first diesel, dry and then clean with brake and clutch cleaner. Mate parts using red Locktite...leave to set overnight.

BTW two small nylon screw drives reside in that housing and require only a small dab of grease.

No photographs as the job was done before camera flashed in head!

Hope this helps. :luigi:

Guest ratchethack

Hi to all,

Witch is the best way to lubricate the speedometer cable? :luigi:

I never do it before and I have noticed lately a little shake in the needle at low speed :huh:

Regards,

Since I replaced my speedo cable about 15K miles back, I've been lubing the head-end of the cable with a teaspoonful (or so) of trans gear lube. (Redline Shockproof Heavy being my choice and most hearty recommendation. -_- ) Some have questioned the wisdom of this on the basis of potential harmful migratration into the instrument itself. I note that gravity works against this and there also seems to be a mechanical barricade against this at the instrument. In any case, doing this has served me well. Excess eventually migrates into the trans, where I reckon it's happy as a clam. :P

My first cable broke after 37,000km which is O.K.

I replaced it with similar and had three issues:

The old cable broke leaving about 10 mm of the insert up in the speedometer which left me wondering how the new cable would fit :huh2:

The routing of the cable between the ignition coils and the spine frame was tricky as the coils had to be unbolted.

The offset drive at the gearbox decided to voluntarily split into its metal and plastic halfs (this has been well documented by Belfast Guzzi). I found a fix......clean and degrease individual parts using first diesel, dry and then clean with brake and clutch cleaner. Mate parts using red Locktite...leave to set overnight.

BTW two small nylon screw drives reside in that housing and require only a small dab of grease.

No photographs as the job was done before camera flashed in head!

Hope this helps. :luigi:

Thanks for the info on that ,John...

It sounds promising.

The next time it explodes I will try that! :huh:

Nige. B)