Daytona Chassis Number

Guest Frosty

Guest Frosty

Hi All,

First time posting here so I'll start with a bit of an introduction. My name is Mark and I live in Sydney Australia. I currently have a much loved California Special Sport and have been riding Guzzis for about one and a half years.

I'm looking to expand my collection with a 96 Daytona Racing (one of the limited 100) but I've been trying to find a way to verify the chassis number as the bike is missing the limited edition plaque on the triple.

I've got every reason to believe that the seller is on the straight-and-narrow and regardless I'm most likely going to buy the bike but it would be good to verify that it is one of the limited series as these have the C-kit engine I've been looking for.

It's chassis number is: ZGUKABKAATM015079

All help greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Mark V

Guest Frosty
Hi, here you can check more or less all the Moto Guzzi framenumbers:

http://www.mgcn.nl/dameijer/moto-guzzi-framenumbers

For Daytonas are:

KA 11111 KA 11802 Daytona 1000 I.E Single seater, 1993 - 1996

KA 15001 KA 15100 Daytona Racing

KA 30001 KA 33137 Daytona 1000 I.E. Biposto, 1993 - 1996

94331[/snapback]

Thanks Marcello,

I've gone looking for the number but can't find anything like it. The workshop manual doesn't indicate where it should be. Can you tell me where to hunt?

Thanks and regards,

Mark V

Frosty, I don't get it: you first tell us what number you can get, Marcelllo gives a list so you can see that it is a racing, So I think it's all answserd.

But ow you can't find the number? Well it should be on the steeringhead. right side

And left a metal badge with the number too. On the papers the number is too.

Guest Frosty
Frosty, I don't get it: you first tell us what number you can get, Marcelllo gives a list so you can see that it is a racing, So I think it's all answserd.

But ow you can't find the number? Well it should be on the steeringhead. right side

And left a metal badge with the number too. On the papers the number is too.

94450[/snapback]

That's the curious part. The VIN is stamped into the righthand side of the steering head and there's no metal badge. I'll start taking bits of next weekend.

Guest Frosty
:2c:  My '97 RS has the metal badge, the engine case is grey and the wheels are grey too.  Supposedly, it also has the C kit and was originally purchased in the UK

94594[/snapback]

Yep, the Racing was the first with the C-kit and then it was standard on the RS.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Frosty

Just one more question on this thread if I may.

I believe I've found the chassis number. There is a plaque under the rear cowl with 15079 stamped after the VIN number and, now that I know what I'm looking for, the same is stamped on the steering head.

According to the dealer paperwork she's number 20. Am I correct that there is no correlation between the chassis number and the number on the plaque and all that matters is that the chassis number is from the correct range?

Thanks and best regards,

Mark

Number 20 is consitant with the first 20 were brought to Australia, No1 was for sale a while ago but it had the full raceco treatment and the guy was making serious money nioses (MGS-01 type numbers). The Daytona Racings were also a dalrer shade of red and had the six way adjustable marzocchi's sp? that were latter found on the carbed sports rather than the three way on the standard daytona. The numbers provided look more like engine numbers rather than chassi numbers on the case in the vicinity of the dipstick. The other thing to do would be find the compliance plate. If they are fitted in the factory they will be rivieted to the headstock. If they were fitted in Australia by the importer than ended up anywhere as drilling the headstock tends to fill the bearings up with swarf. Have a look at the battery box and other odd places. If you get really really stuck ring Mario at Thunderbikes in Perth as he was the importer's head Mechanic at the time these were imported and might be able to shed some light on things.

Guest Frosty

Number 20 is consitant with the first 20 were brought to Australia, No1 was for sale a while ago but it had the full raceco treatment and the guy was making serious money nioses (MGS-01 type numbers). The Daytona Racings were also a dalrer shade of red and had the six way adjustable marzocchi's sp? that were latter found on the carbed sports rather than the three way on the standard daytona. The numbers provided look more like engine numbers rather than chassi numbers on the case in the vicinity of the dipstick. The other thing to do would be find the compliance plate. If they are fitted in the factory they will be rivieted to the headstock. If they were fitted in Australia by the importer than ended up anywhere as drilling the headstock tends to fill the bearings up with swarf. Have a look at the battery box and other odd places. If you get really really stuck ring Mario at Thunderbikes in Perth as he was the importer's head Mechanic at the time these were imported and might be able to shed some light on things.

Hi Murray,

The number I'm now reading is on a compliance plate riveted near the computer under the rear cowl and stamped on the steering head after the VIN. The number is from the series given to the Daytona Racings and she has all the body badges and equipment (including the 6 way adjustable front suspension) so she's definitely what she purports to be.

According to the paperwork from the dealer she was badged as number 20 (somehow the badge has gone missing although you can see where it was, I suspect it's been souvenired). It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the factory didn't attempt to get the chassis numbers to line up with the badge numbers, although it would have been a nice idea, but I thought I'd solicit opinions before I commit to the cost of getting the badge reproduced.

Mario didn't hang on to the records after the importer in WA closed down. I tracked the original importer down through JSG to his son to a bike dealership he is now working at in Lismore. At that stage I was still trying to establish that she really was a racing and not another Daytona someone had dolled up. I never actually spoke to the man as seeing the bike in person and the original dealership paperwork were enough to convince me the bike was genuine.

I should continue the research and find out how many made it to Aus. 20 would surprise me but you never know.

Where was number 1?

Best regards,

Mark

Daytona Racing No.20

02 Cali Special Sport