Greg Field

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No - but marshalling at it would.....

8-)

94769[/snapback]

I was old enough to marshal, but didn't start until I came to the Isle of Man in the late eighties.

Nige. B)

Nogbad,

Your analogy is right on target. However all the Guzzis prior to the V11 have essentially the same sump and the older models seldom if ever exhibit this problem. In my mind the only difference between the old and the V11 is the hole in the top of the strainer. When the oil sloshes to the back this hole is uncovered allowing the pickup tube to slurp in a slug of air.

When you think about it my '96 has the strainer in the exact same location and the oil light has never had so much as a hiccup. The ONLY difference is the hole in the top of the strainer.

If the windage tray can keep the oil level enough above the top of the strainer it could make my theory a moot point. If nobody else is going to try my o-ring idea, I guess I'm going to have to do it myself. On the bright side I have not seen an oil light in over a year.

Guest ratchethack

T-Whit, IMHO your theory of air diving through the circular gap between pickup downpipe and screen is not without merit in this discussion.

However, this assumes that the screen provides significant resistance to oil flow. I b'lieve you could get a read on the liklihood of this being the case by physically pouring oil through the screen next time y'er sump is off to observe anything resembling "pooling" on the top of the screen. My prediction - none a-tall. I'll bet it runs thru like the proverbial sh!t thru a goose, 'specially when it's at operating temp's. Then there's the relatively large surface area of the screen to consider. IMHO this adds up to less than negligible resistance. -_-

Generally speaking, I'd tend to be phobic about the idea of adding much of anything inside the sump that could potentially migrate, break, or in any conceivable way get itself between the pickup and the bottom of the sump. Any "non-captive" o-ring - that is, any o-ring not fully enclosed - would qualify as such a potential threat, IMHO.

The "castellated" end of the pickup is shaped the way it is, IMHO, for the purpose of lowering the probability of "anything" completely blocking off the pickup. You gotta wonder what the engineers had in mind - maybe something gruesome happened in testing? It occurs to me that if you bashed the sump on a log or a rock whilst bounding across an ISDT course :lol: , and bent the sump casting up without cracking it, this could close the gap between sump and pickup. The casetellations would then still presumably prevent a complete blockage and permit oil to flow!

But now I've got meself a fair ways past the tall grass and into the woods. . . . . . . :blush: