Desperately Seeking For Valves...

Frio

Hello gentlemen,

I am new here, but I have been lurking on this and other Guzzi forums for a while.

After this quick introduction I would like to bring to your attention my quest to find my first Moto Guzzi bike.

I am looking for:

1) A good condition Daytona Racing / Daytona RS

2) A MGS-01 (easier said than done huh?)

If anyone knows anything about this (http://bike-exchange.com/check_updates.php?ref=09050606&adtype=n) please let me know.

If anyone knows anything about a Racing and/or an RS for sale please let me know.

If anyone knows anything about a MGS for sale please let me know.

I would really appreciate any help in this quest :)

Thanks in advance,

Frio

P.S. perhaps I should just wait for the new 1200 4V sports bike? :D

Keep an eye on Ebay. They have a Daytona up for auction there about once every three months or so. If you want an MGS I hope you have deep pockets. There have been a few of those floating around Ebay in Europe & Britain. Plus keep looking here, people occasionally do sell their stuff & post it here first.

from what I read, the 1200 sportbike will be like a griso with different clothes. And the 4v doesn't come from the daytona engine, but a new head on the 2v engine.

From what I understand, there are some unsold mgs01 in english and italian shops. And it seems that they can be orderd new too.

Antonio: thanks, I will try to contact Jim then...

Richard: I am not a big fan of eBay to be very honest, if I do get a chance to buy one of those monsters I would like to have a direct talk to the previous owner rather than just trying to compete for the last dollar against a horde of other people.

Paul: I heard that too, new head on the current engine, what do you think about that? Will it be a strong engine?

Frio

Paul: I heard that too, new head on the current engine, what do you think about that? Will it be a strong engine?

Frio

Well hard to tell. But my understanding is that it has the can in it's old place, no cam in the head.

I can't tell if that's good or not. I know what I heave. That's 115 hp at the rear wheel, translates to more at the cranck:-). Do you need that to have fun, no. On the track I use that power, on normal road hardly. It's to fast fo anything legal.

But the new head will never have that amount of power, the emission makes things harder for big 2 cil aircooled twins. BMW has admitted that the power they have in the r1200s is the max that engine can do, Legal:-) And that engine is more like a daytona engine.

Then I guess it means that I really have to get a Racing or an RS :D

Or maybe I should get an MGS-01 and start the battle to make it road legal?

Frio

What's your definition of a "strong motor?"

The advantage of the Hi-Cam design is the ability to rev the engine higher due to shorter, stiffer (tiny) push-rod & lighter reciprocating valve train components (altho' the rotational inertia of the Hi-Cam 4v is almost certainly higher than that of the regular 2v valve-train.) The higher you can rev an engine past 5252rpm, the higher the horsepower numbers it will make [ceteris parabus.]

The advantage of a 4v head slapped on the old 2v engine [long, whippy push rods] is that with a 4v head, you can have a flatter combustion chamber with a centrally located spark plug hole: this equates to better combustion efficiency, & better top end breathing, better valve life (larger ratio of valve seat to valve mass for cooling of the valve), less likelihood of valve float [due to lower mass vs. spring strength), etc. etc.

The twin spark head on the old 2v combustion chamber amounts to a band-aid on a sucking chest wound as far as smog certifications go; the 4v head would amount to field surgery, using the same metaphor.

So, a 4v long-pushrod head on "the old ditch-pump" (as one of my favorite Roperisms describes it) would be a "strong motor" in comparison to the existing 2v motor, since with better combustion efficiency, Guzzi can run longer valve overlap & richer injection to make more power before the smog Nazis shut them down, but in comparison to an hot-rodded Hi-Cam, it will never be able to match the earlier design due to inherent limitations.

Of course, properly designed CF/Ti pushrods would help close the gap! :thumbsup:

Guest mathieuguzzi

Paul, is ther anything else that you've heard about this new guzzi sportbike ? Do you know what would be the release date ? Thanks.

Well hard to tell. But my understanding is that it has the can in it's old place, no cam in the head.

I can't tell if that's good or not. I know what I heave. That's 115 hp at the rear wheel, translates to more at the cranck:-). Do you need that to have fun, no. On the track I use that power, on normal road hardly. It's to fast fo anything legal.

But the new head will never have that amount of power, the emission makes things harder for big 2 cil aircooled twins. BMW has admitted that the power they have in the r1200s is the max that engine can do, Legal:-) And that engine is more like a daytona engine.

vintagegear: I checked the web site but it doesn't look like there is a MGS for sale, did you see it anywhere in particular?

Maybe I will contact them...

Frio

Have you looked here?

I think there is an MGS still available...

B

Ok, I written an email to Mr. Daes, I hope he can tell me some more info about availability.

They are also working on a project to make the MGS road legal, that's just great!

Frio

Street legal wil depend on the country you are in. What can be done in one country won't go in another. The news on the deas website is outdated, and I think the guy(Roland) only speaks german. The austria story is quite different, that was an centauro, rebuild to get the mgs01 looks, the made their own fiberglass for it, sculped from only pictures. If you want streeet legal, orient in your own country. There is one in california that has a plate too. Don't ask me how.

Street legal wil depend on the country you are in. What can be done in one country won't go in another. The news on the deas website is outdated, and I think the guy(Roland) only speaks german. The austria story is quite different, that was an centauro, rebuild to get the mgs01 looks, the made their own fiberglass for it, sculped from only pictures. If you want streeet legal, orient in your own country. There is one in california that has a plate too. Don't ask me how.

Paul, thanks for your comments, I am very aware that a race bike can only be converted and registered in some countries and not in others, I will try to search for as much information as I can on which countries allow single vehicle approval process.

In some countries (Italy for example) it is also illegal to modify your bike like upgrading the engine from 1000 to 1200, changing the exhaust, sometimes even changing wheels...

Frio