V11 production figures

guido

Since now all V11 there ever are going to be, have been built, it would be nice to have some production figures for the different variants.

It is no secret that this model has been built in a low production environment for Moto Guzzi, but how many machines were actually made, and which ones are going to be "the classic"

.....and which ones are going to be "the classic"

KR green, KR black, KR silver (noble bling), and then probably the LeMans Rosso Corsa.

The rest is nice, too. At least it would make small meetings if only the Classics should come.

Hubert :P

Gents,

you seem to forget the noble Scura :drink: German motorcycle magazine "Motorrad" nominated it to be a top ten bike when it came to design. Only 600 were made so stick to your Scuras!

Cheers

Søren

General wisdom says that during the spine frame years, around 5000 bikes rolled out of Mandello each year. This includes, all California 'tonti' based bikes, all 750's, and all V11 based spines', and everything else. . Basic arithmetic deduction kind of indicates that 1/2 of these would be spine frames, in all their spin-off trim and color options. In the year that Jim's Rosso and my V11 green were made, 2001, you could say that there were 300 Rosso's, making say 2200 bikes split between green, black, and silver, so 700 or so each.

Jim, while you should be justifiably proud of your Rosso's limited status, your Laverda SFC is one of 549, built over I believe 5 yrs. A very special machine indeed. I rode one around Nakusp last weekend, in full race trim as usual, and it's performance and heritage made me weep a bit as I flashed along the Nakusp bypass at near redline in 5th cog. Last year in Los Angeles I asked Pierro Laverda about production numbers on all his bikes. He said production of all models for each calendar year was 100 bikes each model. They upped production to 120 bikes a year with the 1200's. Amazing stuff.

Ciao, Steve G.

The real classic would be the V11 playboy version, because of the brand and copyrights it was way so expensive that it didn't sell... (According to Ted from Motortoer)

ScreenHunter_393.jpg

To be honest, and coming from a Japanese marque, I think that in a few years this question is as relevant as the question on which Jaguar E-type you have or which Harley WLA or WLC.... But an indication of the production number would be interesting.

For example, of the yellow GL1000 Goldwing I owned, only 200 were made. The Gl1000 sold very badly in the early years, it actually was positioned as a sportsbike. But because the only 1000cc engine honda had was an experiment on a double BMW engine, which was good for torque, bud very very bad for ground clearance and the top end performance, although having 80hp, was not excellent... So they took back 200 blue GL's and replaced the bodywork with yellow, trying to match the strategy of kawasaki with the Z1000 (in green). It didn't help. Only when Honda started to notice that quite a few riders placed big Vetter fairings on, they say the capability of the Goldwing as a touring bike, and not as the sportsbike they wanted it to be. That's why the GL1100 was available with and without fairing, but they practically only sold it with fairing.

Sorry for this non-guzzi interuption of this topic, I only wanted to state that production nr's and strategies are very interesting (and one of the reasons why I really loved Greg Fields book...)

Certainly not a classic in the classic sense, but MGNA popped off 30 specials - 15 each of the V11 Sport TT and V11 Sport CF. That's fairly exclusive even if it's not particularly noteworthy. Frankensport was a V11 Sport TT but after the accident and rebuild it has a 1996 Sport frame so although it sports the bodywork, it's not really the same bike.

V11SportTTmodII.gif

The Scura R black and orange one must be the rarest I know of only one imported into the UK, Nero Corsa also low numbers

Gents,

you seem to forget the noble Scura :drink: German motorcycle magazine "Motorrad" nominated it to be a top ten bike when it came to design. Only 600 were made so stick to your Scuras!

Cheers

Søren

My figures indicate 700 Scura's but Guzzi have never been accurate with thier figures so we will just have to guess. Ther were only supposed to be three V8's but there seem to be more now

V11s are cheap as chips in the UK at the moment with prices starting at £2500 for an early V11 Sport. There is a Coppa Italia on biketrader website at the moment for about £5k- its already lost 40% of its new price.

Great news for used buyers!

I reckon in 20 years time when rorty aircooled bikes are history, all decent Guzzis like the V11 will be termed as "classics" although I can't ever see them reaching silly money.

Maybe the Ohlins variants will be seen as the ones to have but who knows?

If Guzzi never build another aircooled sports bikes I think the MGS01 will be seen as very exotic and desirable in years to come, as will the Ghezzi Brians and Magnis.

Does it matter?

Guy :helmet:

I think the MGS01 is already a classic & will hold its value. Trouble is, there just arent enough of them to get excited about. If you looked at ebay recently two Rosso Mandello's sold for over $7000 each. The RM's are definitely holding up well lately.