Gas Tank Problem??

Guest Mich-Guzzi

Guest Mich-Guzzi

Took the '00 V11 Sport to N/C for a bit of riding on the Blue Ridge and developed a problem. Parked the bike at Chimney Rock and when I returned, it would not start. Engine initially started and then quit. Coasted down from the summit and was able to get the started and rode to the down to the bottom. Parked it again and when I returned, same drill. Inital startup and then stall.

Checked a lot of things without success. Then added fuel to the tank and rode the bike back to the campsite.

Here's the problem.

- Fuel level was just below the top of the tunnel. Very visible. Not a vent problem.

- Added exactly 3.5 gallons US of fuel to the top of the neck - which should have meant there was plenty of fuel in the tank to start with - at least 1.5 gallons.

- No low fuel light. The low fuel light has always worked before on this bike.

I plan to pull the tank and check things over but anybody have an idea what caused the bike to act up?

Keith

Guest ratchethack

Took the '00 V11 Sport to N/C for a bit of riding on the Blue Ridge and developed a problem. . . .

Keith, congrat's on riding a World Class moto-route, the BRP. What a place for a Guzzi! :thumbsup:

Welcome to one of the "hidden features" <_< of the V11! Incredible as it may seem, there's no way to access that remaining 1.5 gallon of gas other than tipping the bike on it's side to achieve the old "slop over". :doh: This is a "feature" I had not been familiar with since my '59 Excelsior. Doing the "slop over" is not even a solution on the Guzzi (at least it was a functional "fuel reserve" on the Excelsior), because the fuel return line will quickly pump it all back on the wrong side again. <_<<_< Your only "real" problem is evidently a failed low fuel sensor or indicator bulb. :(

At first, I was nothing short of aghast and agog at the sheer idiocy of this situation on a "modern" :lol: moto, but after reading here of the many excursions into the realm of advanced custom plumbing modifications (none of them satisfactory, IMHO) and putting my own problem-solving skills to task on an extended basis (equally unsatisfactory :blush: ), I've learned to live with it and keep it topped-up.

Eventually, some brilliant Doctor of FI will come up with a quick and easy solution. He will be crowned King of the Forum for life. ^_^;)

Guest Mich-Guzzi

Well that's quite a relief!! I really have no problem with the range of the tank as it is but I will check the light bulb first as that is probably what is done. It's nice to have an advance warning. It was a bit embarassing, to say the least!

You are right about the BRP. I rode all of the N/C miles last week and it was heaven. Not too many cars either, contrary to the rumors. A big change from the roads here in MI.

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Keith

I've never seen one of these tanks trap that much fuel. Usually it's 0.8 - 1 gallon. I wonder if some other mystery has been visited upon you.

Vapor lock, perhaps?

I can personally attest to the fact a v11 can run "out" of gas with over a gallon still in it. It happened to me one time & that was enough for me. Now I fill it up around or before 130 miles on the tripmeter. I was scratching my head trying to figure out why my bike wouldnt run when there was clearly still gas in the tank :doh: As soon as I put gas in it, the bike ran fine though so thats what it was. I think I had about 155 miles on the tripmeter when it ran "dry".

Guest Mich-Guzzi

Vapor lock was my first thought too as it was bloody hot that day. But the bike started and ran fine as soon as I put in the extra gas. And I'm guessing about the 1.5 gal. It could have easily been a half gallon or more less as I put some in from a can first (estimated at about 1/2 gal) and then filled up at the closest station with 3.5 gal. more.

But it runs fine now :)

Keith

Guest ratchethack

FWIW, at 30K miles now without a hint of vapor lock to date, riding several times (without stopping) in temps up to 112-115F (44-45C), I figured I was "immune" until last weekend. Giving it a "heat soak" at rest for just the right time (still don't know what this is, but I'm guessing 40 minutes?) at about 100F (38C) gave me the symptoms. She started rough, ran ragged with lots of coughing, and I tried to keep it going long enough to get cool gas circulating, but she eventually quit. Started right up & ran fine immediately afterward, though. Happened twice. <_<

Guest Nogbad

With mine, low fuel level combined with high temperature seems to cause it. If the tank is fairly full it doesn't seem to happen.

With 22K mi on the clock my milage just keeps getting better...near 45 mpg on the

last trip, 350 mi of slab maintainiing 80 mph. I was amazed @ the first gas stop.

150 mi and just a little over 3 gal topped it off. My light usually comes on @ 160 or so.

I've done over 180 on a tank on a few occasions. I often squeeze 4.5 gals in and imagine I could

get close to 200 mi on a tank. I wonder if going to RaceCo valve settings helps? Shure helps

with starting and I don't give a crap about uber exceleration or top end.

Gotta go out and figure out what was happening with my front end now. I just took a

short ride around the block (flying wing with the guy buying my Duc.) and the front end felt like

it was on marbles and was going to tuck under me...!! The tire didn't look, feel low..not enough to

feel like that. Maybe I'm just not used to riding it not loaded with camping gear. :blush: