rear drive axle

richard100t

Theres some black grease leaking out on the rear drive side. It looks like its coming out from around the washer thats between the bearing & the swingarm. Is this because of the extremely hot weather lately, or maybe I was just a little too liberal with the grease last time I had the wheel off? Thats been a few thousand miles though & I dont remember it doing this before. Could it be the bearing is going bad? I'm going to go out & investigate further. Anyone else notice this on their bike?

Guest ratchethack

Without seeing it, it's somewhat difficult to diagnose by a post, Richard, but it doesn't sound serious. I don't know what you put on the spindle and/or in the needle bearings when it went back together last, but if it's the same color, I wouldn't think a thing about it, just wipe it off. It's not likely related to the condition of any bearing. The only time you need be concerned about a leak is when the bevel drive gearcase lube begins making a mess. I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

Well I was worried about it before I read your post. So I removed the rear wheel, checked the bearing, cleaned & greased everything & reassembled :thumbsup: I'm pretty sure you're right & that it was just the old grease breaking down & thinning out. It never hurts to clean & regrease things :luigi: Besides that old grease was making one hell of a mess :!:

Guest ratchethack

Hey, glad nothin's amiss.

Worst case, you may've engaged in a bit o' the dreaded "Guzzichondria"! :o;):whistle: