Odometer readings

felix42o

Well, after 1600 miles to, around, and back from Washington State I've noticed something I find strange. While bouncing my trip meter's readings against that of various mile markers and distance signs, it seems my tripmeter is pretty darn accurate, clicking over precisely at each highway mile marker sign for at least six miles, until I got bored and forgot about it. Further, I know for a fact that the speedometer reads 'bout 6-8% high, as checked that against more than one kind friend acting as a pace car.

In short, it seems the speed reads optimistic and the odometer is dead on. :huh2:

Any thoughts?

I have estimated my speedo-meter to be about 6% fast and the Odo-meter to be about 3% lengthy.

But it has been years since I casually tested.

I have a 2000 Guzzi with the 160 tire.

I suspect a 180 tire will allow for more accurate readings.

On a recent ride, me on my Nero Corsa and a friend on my Sport 1100, I was surprised at the tripmeter readings at the end of the day. FWIW, the NC has its OEM 180/55-17 and the S11 its OEM 160/60-18.

At the end of the ride, the Nero Corsa's odometer read 117 miles, the Sport 1100's odometer read 124 miles.

Yep there was seven miles difference in the two Guzzis' odometers.

Someday maybe I'll have a GPS and check to see which one is 'on' and which one is 'off'.

:huh2:

Riding with GPS equiped riders I've found the odometer to be optomistic by up toward 10%. It wasn't quite 10 but more than 8. I'll be riding again with those felows next month so I'll pay closer attention to the discrepency.

I've noted with my Garmin that the Veglia guage is pretty well spot on with odometer reading, and consistantly 7-8% optimistic on speedometer readings. This is easily understood when you consider the odometer readings are directly linked via cable and gear drive, and the speedometer needle is run by magnetic spinner. Think of it as your built in speeding ticket saviour, should you ride near the edge of that end of things.

Ciao, Steve G.

My speedometer reads the typical 6% high. And while the reset odometer reads spot on within 1/2% the other odometer reads 24% LOW. Can't figure that one out. This unit replaced the original while the bike was still under warranty because the reset odometer locked up.