Converting Le Mans to Sport

Guzzirider

for curiosity sake, why would you take off the Le Mans fairing? The naked looks good, just wondering why you would want to change after buying the LM?

I bought the Le Mans as it was a good deal- £6900 brand new when the list price was £8700. I was actually looking for a Scura at the time. The fairing is fine albeit a little ugly but it is much more fun without and I think it transforms the looks of the bike as well as the feel.

I can understand why people want to do the reverse (fit a LM fairing to a Sport) as the fairing does work well but I prefer to be different!

Guy :helmet:

Guest redguzziv10

Guy,

Did i read somewhere that you have stuck a Ducati Monster bikini fairing on the top?

How does it fare :D compared to full fairing / no fairing?

I'm thinking of the same, but want it to colour match my burgundy tank, and i want to make sure it works reasonable enough before lashing the cash

Guy,

Did i read somewhere that you have stuck a Ducati Monster bikini fairing on the top?

How does it fare :D compared to full fairing / no fairing?

I'm thinking of the same, but want it to colour match my burgundy tank, and i want to make sure it works reasonable enough before lashing the cash

Yes it is not the standard Ducati Monster fairing- I think Jaap has fitted one of those. Mine is a Ducati Performance carbon fibre part- it was brand new and was being sold half price by somebody on the UK Monster forum. It is quite different in shape and fitting to the standard Monster item. All I needed to do to make it fit my V11 is use a round file to widen the holes that the headlamp bolts feed through.

I have not done any long trips yet or ridden in the rain but it seems to work well. The profile is actually wider than the Stucchi nose fairing on Helen's V11 Sport.

Cheers

for curiosity sake, why would you take off the Le Mans fairing? The naked looks good, just wondering why you would want to change after buying the LM?

To me it is the looks and an opportunity to put on some more carbon fiber! :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

I've sort of finished.

Before

Guy097.jpg

After

Naked002.jpg

Did the conversion to pods the other day- I cut the ends of the plastic tubes that normally connect the throttle bodies to the airbox, and connected the pods to these rather than directly onto the injectors.

Also fitted the Rossopuro fender eliminator today and all that is left to do is to find a suitable flasher relay which will work with the new indicators.

I was not sure how it would run in comparison to the lidless airbox arrangement I had previously, but I need not have worried because she runs like a dream and I can feel a little extra low down urge, which is impressive seeing as my last dyno run produced 74 ft lbs of torque at the back wheel. Wish I had converted to pods ages ago now! Now I have got rid of the airbox, rear hugger and fender, there is much less ugly plastic to look at now.

The high comp pistons have bedded in nicely after about 5500 miles (she is due to blow up in another 4500 I understand :grin::grin: ) and the ECU reprogram by HTM has given her a really smooth power curve with a bit of a top end rush as well as the chunky midrange.

I had a really nice ride on her today in the crisp winter sunshine and I dunno whether it was my imagination but I could swear that I felt the benefit of losing a little weight off the bike now.

Looks really good Guy :thumbsup: , I have a question though , now that you have fitted the pods (K&N!!) Do the side panels have to stay off (looks nice seeing and getting better access to the shock) or can you refit them if you want.

Gary :mg:

Looks really good Guy :thumbsup: , I have a question though , now that you have fitted the pods (K&N!!) Do the side panels have to stay off (looks nice seeing and getting better access to the shock) or can you refit them if you want.

Gary :mg:

Hi Gary

Just had a look in the garage- yes I reckon you could refit the side panels if you really wanted to.

Cheers

Yes it is not the standard Ducati Monster fairing- I think Jaap has fitted one of those. Mine is a Ducati Performance carbon fibre part- it was brand new and was being sold half price by somebody on the UK Monster forum. It is quite different in shape and fitting to the standard Monster item. All I needed to do to make it fit my V11 is use a round file to widen the holes that the headlamp bolts feed through.

I have not done any long trips yet or ridden in the rain but it seems to work well. The profile is actually wider than the Stucchi nose fairing on Helen's V11 Sport.

Cheers

Have you tried it with zero fairing? I took my Sport's off because the wind blast off the original fairing was right at my face at a higher density than the ambient. I noticed when standing up, there was considerably less wind in the face. Without the fairing, less wind in the face, and only a little more in the chest area. Of course, lying down on the tank at motorway speeds would result in better shelter with the fairing, but personally, I'm happier this way, whether it's raining or not.

Have you tried it with zero fairing? I took my Sport's off because the wind blast off the original fairing was right at my face at a higher density than the ambient. I noticed when standing up, there was considerably less wind in the face. Without the fairing, less wind in the face, and only a little more in the chest area. Of course, lying down on the tank at motorway speeds would result in better shelter with the fairing, but personally, I'm happier this way, whether it's raining or not.

Yes the good thing is I can remove the screen in 2 minutes- just undo the 2 headlight bolts and then she's naked.

• 2 months later...

Just an update if anyone is thing of buying the same Buell mirrors as me. I am off for a 2 week tour of Europe on Friday so loaded her up today because I will be busy at work later in the week.

Found I could not see owt in the Buell mirrors once I threw my panniers and tent on, so have ditched them in favour of the big mirrors from my Ducati Monster. They give a great view even with all the wide luggage, but they did not fit straight away as Ducati uses a left hand thread for the right mirror.

I had to bodge it by taking off the mirror fitting from the brake lever assembly on the Monster, and fitting it on the V11, and it matched up perfectly to the V11 brake lever.

So in short, don't buy those Buell mirrors if you are going camping!