how to

bob

I am preparing to remove the upper triple clamp on a 2000 v11 sport. How do you remove the adjusters for spring load?

Also, can you safely hook up a dwell tach? Where?

Thanks in advance!

Bob

Guest ratchethack

Bob, Please forgive any misunderstanding. I'm a little unclear on a few things, including your meaning and objectives.

Under your avatar appears "2000 V7 Sport".

The V7 was first manufactured in 1967 and was a loop frame Guzzi. The V11 Sport in 2000.

The adjusters for spring load (preload) on the 2000 V11 Sport are PVC spacers, which are shortened or replaced with longer ones as needed for preload adjustment. They are removed without disturbing the upper triple clamp at all by 1. backing the compression and rebound screws fully to the left, and 2. removing the fork caps (front end suspended with the wheel off the floor). Blocking up the wheel to raise the fork rod assemblies in the stanchions will allow the removal of the caps from the fork rod assemblies by backing them off the blue-anodized fork rod retainer nuts. The spacers are then removed from under their retainers.

I presume you know that there is no dwell on electronic ignition? In this case, are you interested in checking the accuracy of your tach with a combo dwell/tach? I suggest that even the dubious Veglia Borletti tach will be more accurate than the average dwell/tach. . . . . :huh2:

Not trying to be a smart-ass, just trying to understand. Any more info and/or questions, by all means, please fire away. :thumbsup:

Ratchethack, thanks for the reply and sorry for the ambiguity. The bike is a 2000 V11 sport. I had a senior moment with the V7. I will figure out how to correct this.

My objective is to remove the upper triple clamp. It seems to me the large nuts have to come off. My question is, do I simply unscrew the large nuts that contain the screws for adjusting dampening? It is my understanding that the nuts adjust preload.??? Is it possible to unscrew the nuts and leave the little screws inside of them where they are? I simply want to remove the triple clamp and replace it with one from a Ballabio so I can install more upright bars. Arthritis!

My objective with the dwell tach is to use the tach function. I am concerned about damaging the ignition if I do. Is there a wire for connecting a dwell tach? Hook it directly to the coils?

As you can tell, I am new to Moto Guzzi. I am also unfimiliar with adjustable forks. My experience is with less sophisticated forks--airhead BMWs.

Thanks!

Bob

To remove the upper tripple clamp you need to undo the pinch bolts around the fork leg. Remove the nut/cover in the middle of the tripple clamp. Get large rubber mallet and bash tripple clamp off. You shounld't need to disturb the forks or the handle bars if they are orginal let alone the adjusment. The tripple clamp is just that it clamps on the forks similar to a hose clip.

Guest ratchethack

My objective is to remove the upper triple clamp. It seems to me the large nuts have to come off. My question is, do I simply unscrew the large nuts that contain the screws for adjusting dampening? It is my understanding that the nuts adjust preload.??? Is it possible to unscrew the nuts and leave the little screws inside of them where they are? I simply want to remove the triple clamp and replace it with one from a Ballabio so I can install more upright bars. Arthritis!

Bob, the upper triple clamp comes off with NO FORCE REQUIRED - I would definitely NOT bash anything, or you'll risk permanently damaging the triple clamp and stanchions by cocking it! The stock clip-on bars are bolted up to the bottom of the triple clamp with positioning socket-head screws, one per side. Don't forget to take these out. You don't need to remove either the fork caps OR the cover over the steering head pivot. Leave them intact. Loosen the 3 sets of clamp bolts, and if necessary, GENTLY put just a tiny bit of wedging force into the slots in the clamps by tapping screwdrivers in very slightly. It'll lift right off with no effort at all. DO NOT permanently "spring" the triple clamp with excessive wedging - it only takes a tiny bit of wedging, maybe a few thousandths of an inch, if any!!

The nuts on the fork caps DO NOT adjust anything (see my previous post). The little screw adjusters in their centers adjust compression and rebound damping.

With the triple clamp off, it's a good opportunity to get about 20 ft-lbs. of torque on the steering head bearing adjuster nut. Mine has needed considerable tightening twice in 30 K miles - the last time it took a half-turn!

My objective with the dwell tach is to use the tach function. I am concerned about damaging the ignition if I do. Is there a wire for connecting a dwell tach? Hook it directly to the coils?

Sorry I can't help with this. I would presume that if's the kind that works by induction off a high-tension lead (spark plug wire) that the inductor pickup goes around one and the other wires go to a ground and a positive feed from the battery? :huh2: Again, I can't imagine how using a grossly inaccurate dwell/tach on a bike that's already equipped with a moderately inaccurate tach will provide any benefit, unless the Veglia has gone south?? :huh2: