Ear Plugs

polebridge

I just replied on a different thread regarding ear plugs and I thought the topic deserved its own thread. I just started wearing them when I ride. I have tried a couple different ones and I am currently using a pair from Howard Leight. They are corded and reusable and they really cut down on wind noise. The only problem is that sometimes it is a little tricky getting my helmet on without pulling the plugs out of my ears since they have these posts to aid insertion. I guess I can just cut the posts down. Anyway they work pretty well and I like the fact that they are corded since I can just hang them around my neck when not riding.

http://www.hearingportal.com/products/products2.asp?id=8#

I am curious as to how popular earplugs are amongst the members here.

Ride Safe

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I ususally wear ear protection when riding and at times at work around heavy equipment. I 've found the most effective and comfotable to be the soft foam type which you role up between your fingers and after installing them they expand in your ear, and no problem under the helmet. I carry them in my pocket when off the bike and keep a spare set in my tankbag, no particular brand most of he foam ones work quite well and are cheap enough.

waspp

Guest Nogbad

I used to use the ones they sell in bike shops which look rounded and smooth, tend to be soft. However, I did some work at a power station, and they had dispensers with plugs at the doors to the turbine hall. These are a harder foam and look like little cylinders, but when crunched up and shoved in stop all the noise. I can't even really hear the Buell race can wearing them, but you do feel kinda detached from reality.

Guest Gary Cheek

After 35 years hammerforming prototype sheetmetal body parts the hearing has taken a beating. I already have severe Tinitis (constant ringing in the ears)

In an effort to minimize any further hearing damage I have made a handy carrier mounted on the clutch perch. Originally a 35MM plastic film container was pressed into service but I was bored one day so I turned one from aluminum billet. It is merely secured VIA the same bolt that retains the resevoir bracket.

Ear canals are all different so there are many types of plugs available. We are supplied with 4 different types at work and the newest addition has become my favorite. They are foam mushroom heads on a very soft plastic stem. They fit well, cause minimum discomfort and are quite effective noise blockers.

Of course they would not be approved as ear protection if they did not provide protection. Furthermore if the plugs are not comfortable there is a good chance you should find some that are. Discomfort is your body's way of telling you something is wrong. Inflamed ear canals can be avoided by wearing proper fitting ear plugs that attenuate well. We have a variety at work so everyone will wear them when needed. If they are NOT comfortable the folks are more likely to bear the noise rather than wear the protection.

Of course hygene dictates frquent replacement of any type ear plug. The low cost of these dispoable plugs makes it easy to always use a fresh pair.

Made by the Aearo Company name of E.A.R. "Express" The company is in Woodland Indiana USA

post-980-1156018321_thumb.jpg

post-980-1156018362_thumb.jpg

post-980-1156018416_thumb.jpg

I think that I'm using the same brand or type as Waspp. Soft foam, expanding after insertion. We have them at work in dispensers. I use mine for 4 or five days, seems that I have quite dry inner ears.

The funny thing with them is that since I wear them I have a lot of talk with people that see me removing them. First they look at these most colorfull plugs, then at the open cans and then at me, asking why I have these loud cans and then earplugs. Somehow they don't really believe that I need them against the wind noise.

In my eyes earplugs are not only... ahm, I think that earplugs are not only just for comfort, I'd recommend them as some sort of safety equipement. I don't feel isolated with them, no, I'm sure I hear more of what is happening apround me when I have them in. Also it's very fatigueing to be exposed to this wind and storm noise one hour in the morning and one in the evening.

Schubert e.g. claim to have the most silent helmet on the market: 82 dB(A) at 100 km/h! A standard exhaust emits 83!

Hubert

When I am going to going over 55mph I use swimmers earplugs that are similar to what you posted above.

I like them because they block less noise than the foam and don't make me feel as disconnected.

Also, reusing the foam too many times is unsanitary and could lead to infection and deafness.

Sometimes I have to trim the stem off the swimmer plugs a little so that they fit in the helmet better, but not so much that I can't get the plugs out easily :doh:

Some of the rib type swimmers plugs are too hard, but most are very comfortable.

A few years ago I finally sucked it up and got a custom set made from Westone (style # 40). These are the hard style, not the soft rubber ones you see made at the bike shows. They fit perfectly flush with my ear so don't have any issues with full face and work great stopping wind noise when I ocassionaly don't wear a full face. I use them for just about every occasion where I need hearing protection (concerts, airplanes, gun range, races, etc). You usually have to go to a hearing doctor to have them molded. Not cheap (think around $150), but I use the hell out of them.

http://www.westone.com/earmold_styles.html#protect

Guest geno929

I use the cheap foam ones that you can get at the drug store for $2.99 for 6 pair. Change em often and keep spares in all my jackets and tank bag. Much Better than puttin in nasty old ones. And you can always share with some friends! They'll appreciate it!

I use the cheap foam ones that you can get at the drug store for $2.99 for 6 pair. Change em often and keep spares in all my jackets and tank bag. Much Better than puttin in nasty old ones. And you can always share with some friends! They'll appreciate it!

ditto. I must have 15 pairs in my various jackets and bike bags. I'm not as elegant as Gary- I just use a ziplock baggie in each location and toss in half a dozen. I tend to prefer the harder foam cylinders, but I'll use anything that's available.

Guest Gary Cheek

ditto. I must have 15 pairs in my various jackets and bike bags. I'm not as elegant as Gary- I just use a ziplock baggie in each location and toss in half a dozen. I tend to prefer the harder foam cylinders, but I'll use anything that's available.

Hello Jason. I too keep some fresh plugs in a tiny zip lock in the bottom of my handlebar trash can . There is always the friend who runs out or loses his only pair. If they were flatter I would carry some in my wallet now that there is a little more room there since the plastic money replaced the folding money and at 55 I no longer find the need for the little foil packed thingies.

Ear plugs and lead slugs; don't leave home without em.

I don't use ear plugs when I ride the Guzzi cause, 1) I want to hear the Guzzi music and 2).want to hear the enviroment and be in touch, while concentrated driving..-

I find that to be a popular misconception about earplugs. With proper plugs, you will be able to hear everything around you just fine, except your ears won't be ringing by the end of the day (mine did, anyway).

I always had problems with the soft foam plugs myself. They worked good, but for some reason I always had problems getting them into my left ear, and once in, there was a 50/50 chance that they would fall out as soon as I put my helmet on. Something funky with my ear canal on that side, I guess.

So, I got a pair of those custom molded silicone jobs from an audiologist that was set up at the NYC Cycleworld show. I love them - they go in so easy, that I can put them both in (simultaneously) in about 2 seconds. And they don't fall out, ever.

I find that to be a popular misconception about earplugs. With proper plugs, you will be able to hear everything around you just fine, except your ears won't be ringing by the end of the day (mine did, anyway).

Personally I doupt , I used to wear ear plugs (lots of and of any kind small or big) when I worked inside the airport and I could slightly hear (more or less) a plane tourbine in 100foot distance . Ear plugs are ear plugs , I can't imagine wear these on the bike while traveling or commuting and don't have the ability to hear a horn of a car or something else

Having traveled over 20,000 km in the last 2.5 years , I definatelly know I don't need them.

Besides I will fall asleep if everything is so quiet :lol: ... and personally in my driving experience I find it dangerous of not being able to hear the enviroment when driving.Cause most sounds will be less loud than my motorcycle , so if I tap this then definatelly everything else will be off as well :wacko: ....no thanks earplugs don't serve me.

But then again,of cource, it is a matter of choice and suitability for everyone

Guest Gary Cheek

Maybe it's like that disability thing? You know, where other senses are enhanced when a single sense is diminished. The blind person who hears better etc. Maybe we can feel the car approaching,telepath the drivers intent to blow his horn (since when do cage drivers honk anyhow? )Besides a good LOOK is far better than relying upon hearing a car . Maybe being forced to LOOK is exactly what is needed. So you utilize the senses as you should have been doing all along.

I still swear I can hear everything I need to hear while riding AND when I am not riding the after ring in the ears is not as severe. The bike sounds wonderful every glorious, beautiful beat. Quality not quantity!

Could be the people who cannot hear well enough WITH ear plugs have already damaged their hearing from the refusal to use them! :homer:

Could be the people who cannot hear well enough WITH ear plugs have already damaged their hearing from the refusal to use them! :homer:

WHAT DID YOU SAY? :P

Also, some helmets are very loud at 80MPH and some are pretty quiet, and some of that has to do with how the helmet fits the individual's head.

When I am on back country roads with my Shoei, I prefer no ear plugs, but blasting down the interstate in my Arrow with retractible face guard, earplugs are a must, otherwise I won't be hearing anything but ringing in a few years. :doh: