Square fin LH sticks out more than RH?

Guest Nigelstephens

Guest Nigelstephens

Now you did know this, didn't you?

I know the RH is in front of the LH but it also is approx 1.5cm further out from the frame centre line.

The RH outside line is 26cm and the LH is 24.5cm on my Sport 1100 i.

Either my frame is not symetrical

The engine is loose and has moved to one side

I have one block/head bigger than the other

I can't measure

or the crank is not on the centre line!

Comments?

Nigel.

Guest ratchethack

Now you did know this, didn't you?

I know the RH is in front of the LH but it also is approx 1.5cm further out from the frame centre line.

The RH outside line is 26cm and the LH is 24.5cm on my Sport 1100 i.

Either my frame is not symetrical

The engine is loose and has moved to one side

I have one block/head bigger than the other

I can't measure

or the crank is not on the centre line!

Comments?

Nigel.

It's wot Luigi and Co. did :luigi: to accomodate a wider wheel rim and swingarm, as I recall. If you sit 1.5 cm to the left of center, symmetry of mass is restored, and all's well. ;)

Guest Nigelstephens
It's wot Luigi and Co. did to accomodate a wider wheel rim and swingarm, as I recall. If you sit 1.5 cm to the left of center, symmetry of mass is restored, and all's well.

When did this happen out of interest?

I have always thought Guzzis were symmetrical along the front/back axis and was a little shocked. Not that it matters but its quite interesting why this should be.

Guest ratchethack

When did this happen out of interest?

I dunno. I've come to think of such as this as typical of the infamous spine-frame era. Of course, by "modern" standards, it would be regarded as shlockery. :o Thank God we Guzzisti are "sophisticated" enough to regard such features as endearing traits of quaintness and exclusivity. :lol:

Nigel,

I think you definitely have a problem.

The info I have read states that luigi had to move it all sideways 1.4cm sideways when they wanted to mount the 4 1/2 inch rim to use the 160 tyre.

Looks like your frame is 1mm out of whack! Ha Ha.

Love it.

Regards,

Phil A

Guest ratchethack

I have always thought Guzzis were symmetrical along the front/back axis and was a little shocked. Not that it matters but its quite interesting why this should be.

Nige. If it's any comfort, think of the massive, cement-mixer proportioned clutch basket under the washing-machine sized primary cover way out in the breeze on the left-hand side of y'er garden-variety Motor Davidson Harley Cycle Bloat-o-Glide. It's made many a grossly-distended, sweaty, smelly, heavily tattooed beer-belly list heavily - and permanently - to sta'bd just to compensate. . . . . . :lol:

Say Nog - how's the longitudinal symmetry of mass on that Buell? :grin:

THATS NOTHING. my steering stops (the tabs that stop your bars from turning too far and hitting the tank) were not welded on in the right place so if I turn to far the forks hit the tank on both sides and have caused a rub mark, since it hits the tank on both sides evenly(same size rub mark) I'm pretty sure its not the tank thats out of whack or maybe somethings bent along the way but I doubt it. I've had 2 mechanics look at it and scratch thier heads and no one on here seems to know what I'm talking about but I've got pictures OH I've got pictures (I'll go take some pictures tomorrw its dark out.) :pic::grin:

someone top that quirk, and I mean quirk not failure.

I'm not sure about the early V7s but the 750S already showed this or at least a similar offset.

It's important to have such an offset. A completely symmetrical bike with a well centered driver won't go straight. If your bike's masses are centered you yourself have to sit off center, just as a matter of fact.

Hubert

Guest Nogbad

Hacker,

Next time you ride, remember to wear a matching pair of guns, and put half your change in each pocket.

Anything else might upset the handling of your bike, and could be negligent.

Guest Nigelstephens

Thanks for all your comments.

It just goes to show how much I still dont know about Guzzis after owning 4 of them.

Not sure it makes any difference but some of the comments are quite entertaining.

Thanks to all

Nigel

Guest ratchethack

Hacker,

Next time you ride, remember to wear a matching pair of guns, and put half your change in each pocket.

Anything else might upset the handling of your bike, and could be negligent.

But Nobgad, according to Hubert, this would prevent me from being able to ride in a straight line. :o

. . .A completely symmetrical bike with a well centered driver won't go straight. If your bike's masses are centered you yourself have to sit off center, just as a matter of fact.

Hubert

When riding armed, I best holster the big N-frame S&W .44 Magnum on me hip. :grin:;):whistle:

And as any haberdasher well knows, a gentlemen always carries his rifle on the right. -_-

Guest Nogbad

But Nobgad, according to Hubert, this would prevent me from being able to ride in a straight line. :o

I don't pretend to understand this one at all. Perhaps bikers that are perfectly centred veer left in the Northern Hemisphere and right in the Southern?

Guest ratchethack

I don't pretend to understand this one at all. Perhaps bikers that are perfectly centred veer left in the Northern Hemisphere and right in the Southern?

AFAIK, the coriolis effect would only apply if y'er Guzzi happens to be going down the oubliette. . . . . :huh2::lol:

. . . . And from what I can tell, there seem to be quite a few well on their way into the usual vortex. . . . . :o;):whistle: