Stucchi Rack for V11

polebridge

I just received my new removable Stucchi Rack for my Coppa Italia. Here are the installation instructions that came with it (printed on a 5x6 sheet of paper):

1) To remove the protection on number plate "A".

2) To take off the seat "B".

3) To loosen the screw "C" and remove the saddle coupling device "D".

4) To take off the screw "F" and remove the complete tail "E".

That's it!

Basically they have just shown me how to remove the seat and rear fender. Thanks a lot!

Does anyone out there have any real instructions on how these things are installed or should I just do a 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' installation?

Thanks

Guest ratchethack

PB, I have a Stucchi rack that has been on and off twice. I assume all Stucchi racks are the same? At no point was it necessary to take off either the seat or the rear fender. It's a little fiddly, but if y'er careful and take y'er time, you should be able to manage without putting any marks at all on the fender, which has been my only concern in the process.

Essentially, it goes something like this. Remove the 2 ea. per side socket-head bolts that fasten the muffler brackets to the frame. Be careful about leaning against the mufflers after you get the bolts out, otherwise you stand a very good chance of serisously lunching the exhaust system! Finagle the rack into position, again - being careful not to mar the fender.

If I'd had the instructions you describe, I'd have tossed 'em. I didn't have any at all. :huh2: If you try a sideways and "over/under" the fender (if that makes any sense?) approach and tape off the outboard edge of the fender to protect it, IMHO you'll have a more comfortable time. It helps to have a helper hold the rack in place against the inside of the frame while you line up the holes. Then thread the longer-than-stock (~2 cm longer I think) thru the muffler brackets and frame, so they run thru all 4 holes in the rack. When all 4 bolts are in and snugged-up, you'll have a rattly rack that's in position, but not yet secured until you install the nylock nuts on the socket-head bolts.

It ain't the cleanest rack installation I've seen, but it is quite secure and very strong. I found that I could hang the rear of the bike from it from above without any concern.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

PB, I have a Stucchi rack that has been on and off twice. I assume all Stucchi racks are the same? At no point was it necessary to take off either the seat or the rear fender. It's a little fiddly, but if y'er careful and take y'er time, you should be able to manage without putting any marks at all on the fender, which has been my only concern in the process.

Essentially, it goes something like this. Remove the 2 ea. per side socket-head bolts that fasten the muffler brackets to the frame. Be careful about leaning against the mufflers after you get the bolts out, otherwise you stand a very good chance of serisously lunching the exhaust system! Finagle the rack into position, again - being careful not to mar the fender.

If I'd had the instructions you describe, I'd have tossed 'em. I didn't have any at all. :huh2: If you try a sideways and "over/under" the fender (if that makes any sense?) approach and tape off the outboard edge of the fender to protect it, IMHO you'll have a more comfortable time. It helps to have a helper hold the rack in place against the inside of the frame while you line up the holes. Then thread the longer-than-stock (~2 cm longer I think) thru the muffler brackets and frame, so they run thru all 4 holes in the rack. When all 4 bolts are in and snugged-up, you'll have a rattly rack that's in position, but not yet secured until you install the nylock nuts on the socket-head bolts.

It ain't the cleanest rack installation I've seen, but it is quite secure and very strong. I found that I could hang the rear of the bike from it from above without any concern.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Thanks Ratchethack. Is your rack of the removeable variety? This one come in two parts. One that bolts onto the bike (perhaps similar to what you're describing) and then the rack which bolts onto that. Thanks for the tip on avoiding scratches. I looked the situation over and that was my first concern.

Guest ratchethack

Erk, no. :( Mine's a one-piece. It's one of the toughest racks I've seen. Heavy gauge steel. Looks like you can carry a scooter on it f'er backup. :grin: