Oil breather pipe leak.

Guest Dru

Hey there:

I have a 2000 V11S and I'm having a bit of a worry. On my ride yesterday, I discovered what I thought was a leak at the back of the oil pan... well, it turns out, the oil is actually coming from the top of the rear of the motor through what looks like a breather pipe to motor connection. I didn't think there would be that much oil pressure through there... any ideas as to why it might be backing up? And, no, I didn't over-fill it. I tried to cinch up the clamp, but it just made the leak worse...

Thanks,

Andrew

Guest ratchethack

Dru, when the hose fully lets go it can make a big mess if you're on a trip of any length. It's not the easiest thing to access for replacement, but my suggestion would be to take care of it ASAP and then forget about it for another 5-6 years or so, depending on how many miles you expect to put on it.

The stock (and replacement) hose from Guzzi is a low-grade item relative to more heat-resistant grades readily available from auto parts outlets for a much lower price. The stock item tends to have a relatively short life cycle. I wouldn't be concerned about a blockage. The trade-off when replacing the molded piece with bulk hose of a higher grade is that you need to plumb in a 90-degree ell at the rear and a 45-degree ell at the front to replicate the shape of the molded hose. This is what I've done.

See discussion here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1301

Several others have found pre-molded hoses that seem to fit without plumbing in ells. I don't know what the durability and life cycle expectation would be on these when used as breather hose, as they're heater hoses spec'd for coolant, and not subject to the same temps & chemical exposure.

See Goodyear/Ford part number, etc here: http://www.guzzitech.com/EVBreatherHose-Joe_B.html

Whatever y'er hosing choices, may they be as fulfilling as mine have been. ;):whistle:

Ratchethack:

Thanks, I'll take your advice! I can only imagine the mess... especially with the excitement of oil dumping itself on the hot exhaust!!!

DRU

Guest ratchethack

Seven years out of a hose, and you guys think it's a piece of crap? I don't get seven years out of the hoses on my car.

Nor do I, Greg - but then those are coolant hoses.

Higher-grade heat-tolerant and petrochem-compatible bulk hose costs pennies more on a per foot basis, and if appearances account for anything, it appears to be much more bulletproof than the stock hose. . . . :huh2:

FWIW, the stuff I used has shown no signs of ageing in over 3 years. On the hose appears: Thormold GS BLACK CM3. I'm pretty sure it's nominal 3/4".

There's a wide range of grades available, but I remember I had a choice of going with higher grade stuff used for hydraulics. . . . .but it looked pretty gruesome to try to stretch to fit over the fittings.

BAA, TJM & YMMV :sun:

Well fellas, I got the Goodyear/Ford hose today. It looks similar. I'll fit it when it stops pouring rain outside, and let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the help!

Okay, I got the hose fit today! It took a couple hours, what with having to take the tank off, undoing all the hoses, swearing, using my fingertips to scooch the hose on properly, angling the clamps so I don't have to stand on my head to screw the things back on. By the way, I only trimmed about 4" off the pipe, 3" at one end, 1" off the other. I didn't have a chance to take her out for a spin, so we'll see! Thanks again guys!

Guest ratchethack

Okay, I got the hose fit today! It took a couple hours, what with having to take the tank off, undoing all the hoses, swearing, using my fingertips to scooch the hose on properly, angling the clamps so I don't have to stand on my head to screw the things back on.

Sounds like you mastered the requisite body English, Dru. Congrat's! :sun:

Y'ever notice that the harder the job is, the more satisfaction there is when y'er done?? :lol::luigi:

Sounds like you mastered the requisite body English, Dru. Congrat's! :sun:

Y'ever notice that the harder the job is, the more satisfaction there is when y'er done?? :lol::luigi:

Yeah, you're not kidding! Although, if it starts leaking now, I don't know whether I'll shoot it or myself! LOL