Installing Yaller Forks

Greg Field

Ever since I first saw a Coppa Italia, I wanted one. I believe that to be the most beautiful paint scheme ever put on a Guzzi. At one time, we had, I think, nine Coppas at Moto Intl. You can't get better "showroom candy" than that.

I'd look at them everyday and scheme ways to get one. Unfortunately I couldn't make it work financially and nearly cried when the last one sold. Soon thereafter, a totaled Ballabio came along, and I could afford that, so I bought it and began fixing it up. Along the way, some slightly damaged Coppa parts came my way for free (damaged in shipping), so Billy Bob slowly began looking more Coppa as the months passed.

It even began running more like a Coppa after I rebuilt a junked Ohlins shock from a Scura and bolted it on. Finally, a set of the Ohlins forks became available at a price I could afford, courtesy of the redoubtable brothers Haven at MPH Cycle. So yesterday on my lunch break, MI-tech Jason and I installed 10.5 N/mm springs and set the air gap in the forks. This morning I worked through a bout of food poisoning to install those purty yaller forks on my Billy Bob.

It would've been a straight bolt-up operation, except that I couldn't get the longer axle spacer used on the Cafe Sport (I was able to get the shorter CS axle, though) because they were on perpetual backorder with Guzzi. So, I made as careful a measurement as i could manage (without disassembling it) of the spacer on the Cafe Sport on the showroom floor. That measurement suggeted that the CS spacer was 1mm longer than the Ballabio spacer. I don't have the equipment to make a new spacer, so i was forced to add on to the one I had. In the junkbox at work was a 25mm washer that fit the axle perfectly but was 2mm thick. I got the bright idea that I could whittle it down to 1mm and have a perfect fit. This was not among my brightest ideas.

PICT0020.jpg

Being lathe-challenged but with much-practiced file skills from years spent making flintlock longrifles, I took to that hardened washer with files. After an hour of really tedious work, I had whittled of 0.4mm evenly all the way around the washer and had dulled two good files. I decided to bolt it all up and see how much difference the extra 0.6mm would make to the installation.

PICT0019-2.jpg

After rushing outside to vomit forth whatever was poisoning my guts, I started swapping Italian forks for Swedish. Swapping out the fork legs themselves could not have been easier. It took maybe 10 minutes. I set the fork height to the settings specified for the Rosso Corsa, which should quicken the steering some. And along the way I discovered a good solution for the spacer problem. The washer under the axle nut is exactly 1mm thick. I fitted it alngside the Ballabio spacer and then used the 1.6mm-thick washer that I had wasted an hour and two files on under the axle nut.

PICT0023-1.jpg

So there they are. They're pretty, for sure, and I hope their performance meets their excellent reputation and does as much to improve the front suspension as the Ohlins shock I rebuilt and installed did for the rear. Also on display are the new rotors I bolted up on Monday to replace the horribly warped pieces of junk fitted by the factory. These are also among the gorgeous pieces Aprilia is fitting to the new SXV Supermotards. If you haven't seen one, seek one out to see what that company is capable of. Better yet, ride a 550 and feel the true meaning of power-to-weight ratio.

PICT0022-1.jpg

Six months ago, Billy Bob was a humble, totaled 2004 Ballabio that I bought for $1,600. After lots of work and a bit of money, he's starting to really look and perform like something and is a Coppa Italia in all but original pedigree. He's still not as precious to me as my Eldorado, but he's become a very close second. Some will snicker and point out that he's also picked up a few pounds from practical additions like a centerstand and saddlebags crashbars, but in my opinion, a motorcycle without a centerstand and carrying capacity and some measure of crash protection is just a toy. This kid gave up toys long ago.

After writing this, I'm starting to feel better. Maybe I got all the bad stuff out after all? I think I'll go to work, and that'll give me a chance for a first impression on the forks.

Guest Mattress

Beautiful!!! :wub: Wish I was that handy (or at least had a garage to pretend to be). Have you thought about powder coating or ceramic coating the crash bars? I think you could get a soft metallic ceramic color on your pipes to match the mufflers (check out Jet-Hot).

I gave up on toys too. Ever since my mistake of buying a VFR-400RR when I lived in Australia. My roommate and I were really into GP racing and Mic Doohan was kicking butt. Guess I thought I was going to be a racer, but all I did was go up and down the mountains outside of Brisbane.

I'm curious about your center stand! Where'd you get it? I like centerstands.

Looks very nice, and I commend you on your frugal approach to style. I like the look of Ohlins, but I'm not sure I want to spend the money for new ones... I'm taking the bike to Aftershocks in Palo Alto this afternoon, and see what they recommend.

ANyway, very nice looking bike! :thumbsup:

Guest Mattress

Thanks, boys.

The brakes are great. No "zing" sound when I apply them.

Is that what it is? The rotors? When I first got my cafe sport I noticed what I thought was an electronic buzz every time I applied the front brake. Since I'd never ridden these new sport bikes I thought maybe it was supposed to make the sound. I never heard it on my old Suzuki GN 250 or the VFR400RR, or I don't remember hearing it.

I'll have to call Moto International. I have the weblink but the parts catalogs weren't available.

...I'll listen out for that "zing" next time I'm out, but can't say I've noticed it before - am I not braking hard enough - Feredo Platinum pads? do I need to try harder?...

Don't think it's just under hard braking, & I have the Platinum's too. Not sure if it used to do it...think so.

I had them re-valved to be reduce harshness. Not sure exactly what they did, but the damping's pretty good..

Yeah - figures. The stock h s comp damping is too harsh...still haven't got mine sorted - if you get to find out the new specs (how much they changed shim stack to reduce comp damping?) can you post info? thanks.

KB :sun: