Question for old farts

jrt

I used a "sloshing sealer" in the fiberglass tank of my '68 Commando and what a pain in the @$$ that was! The stuff doesn't stay where you want it to so I was sloshing the dang thing for an hour and a half before it would stay put. Now the fibreglass is starting to blister. Could it be that MEK solvent and fibreglass don't get along too well?

Hi jrt,

RR here in Lincoln, NE. Long time no talk. Hope your V11S is doing well. Mine is. I believe that we both bought our bikes from Jim over at Ned,s at about the same time. I can't believe that its been a few years now. I do a lot of TIG welding along with MIG, Stick and brazing. There are gas tank repair kits using an epoxy ribbon product made for gas tank leak repair that work well. If you have a pin hole not related to rust issues then a good TIG welder should be able to make a spot repair on your tank with out too much trouble. TIG works well with very thin metal guages as long as the welder knows what he/she is doing. Purge and backing gas is often used. If I were to do it I would purge and back with argon and spot the pin hole area.

RR

Hi jrt,

RR here in Lincoln, NE. Long time no talk. Hope your V11S is doing well. Mine is. I believe that we both bought our bikes from Jim over at Ned,s at about the same time. I can't believe that its been a few years now. I do a lot of TIG welding along with MIG, Stick and brazing. There are gas tank repair kits using an epoxy ribbon product made for gas tank leak repair that work well. If you have a pin hole not related to rust issues then a good TIG welder should be able to make a spot repair on your tank with out too much trouble. TIG works well with very thin metal guages as long as the welder knows what he/she is doing. Purge and backing gas is often used. If I were to do it I would purge and back with argon and spot the pin hole area.

RR

Yep, the Sport seems to be doing well. I even still have the original battery!

I have access to a MIG, TIG and gas welding, so it sounds like I have lots of options. The tank is still airing out, but everyone's advice on backfilling with argon is well noted. Big J, your method intrigues me...but no thanks.

Dr.Gil- I'm happy to help.

Guest Gary Cheek

Yep, the Sport seems to be doing well. I even still have the original battery!

Geez Jason! I have been avoiding saying that since my 01 still has the original battery too. I didn't want to Jynx it! Now that you have said it I might as well order a new one. The old one doesn't owe me a thing! -_-

Well, after it sat for 4 months, I did recharge it. Seems to be fine though. I may have jynxed mine too, but Ned's is just down the street and has them in stock, so I'm feeling brash and devil-may-care.