Brit beasts'r'bett'r ?

belfastguzzi

A couple of pics taken at the National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham last winter:

Barry Sheene's last race bike. I had the pleasure of watching him racing a Manx at the Goodwood Revival a few years back. He still had a lot of talent and won one of the races.

NMM010.jpg

Steve Cull's Norton rotary racer. I remember watching these totally dominate at a British Superbike round at Thruxton- they probably had about 15mph top end advantage over the exotic Jap racers (RC30s, OW01s etc) and just breezed past them on the straights. A couple of old blokes bolting a dustbin onto a bike in a shed, then beating the might of HRC (with a bit of help from a sympathetic rulebook!). I must say that the road version of the F1 looks awful though.

NMM014.jpg

But for simple elegance combined with stark mechanical beauty, is there anything to rival:

Velocette_20KTT.jpg

The AJS, don't you think?

Vincati? Can't see the point, unless he blew the 750/860GT engine [not unusual] and had a spare Rapide motor lying around, which seems sort of unlikely!

Perhaps the point has to do with this being a thread about great British bikes on a forum about an Italian bike. Coincidence maybe or did I do it on purpose?

Perhaps the point has to do with this being a thread about great British bikes on a forum about an Italian bike. Coincidence maybe or did I do it on purpose?

You misunderstood me, Jim. I can see the point of the posting; what I meant was that I can't see the point of building one. Actually, having thought back to my last ride on a "proper" Vincent twin and what it did to my spine over a rough road, I sort of can!

This isn't the first Vincati I've seen pictures of, and they all look just wrong to me.

Edit: it's just occured to me that you might have built this, in which case many apologies and it looks lovely!

The AJS, don't you think?

The Graiseley Hill products win hands down for cosmetic quality. Nobody (not even Sunbeam) could match the quality of their paintwork and plating. Mechanically, I am not so sure.

Hmmm... there's no rain either...

could these be Japanese copies??

The Leader's pretty good at generating its own fog.

I thought it said Brit breasts 'r' bett'r?

No. I knew that we couldn't compete with David Hasselhoff

–– unless someone knows differently?

hasselhoff3.jpg

Lucas%20Vincent.JPG

That particular tank sits very well with the frame.

Oil return line. Looks like it has offshoots for valve gear lubrication, to help stem the dreaded Vincent top-end rattle.

I've heard Vincents described as "...like two gas stoves being dragged over cobbles" and "A collection of solutions looking for their problems", both of which seem apt. Undoubtedly good-looking machines, though.