Crossover Damaging Engine Case

Bill Hagan

Have noticed that crossover fits so tightly against the lower left side of the Ballabio's engine case that it has carved some of the latter away. All of this may be merely cosmetic, but might not, either. See pics.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=9wgryy...=0&y=vgb2w2

In any event, as the header pipes are at the welder, I thought I'd try to solve this.

Don't laugh, but the best I've come up with is to buy one of those cheap metal signs (e.g., KEEP OUT) I found in the hardware store. Snipped it and intend to lay a small section of it between the case and the crossover when reinstalled.

Any (polite, printable, and non-ridiculing) comments/suggestions? :luigi:

OBTW, the 3d of 3 pics poses another question, as I thought I'd make the post a twofer. :D

Have noticed that crossover fits so tightly against the lower left side of the Ballabio's engine case that it has carved some of the latter away. All of this may be merely cosmetic, but might not, either. See pics.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=9wgryy...=0&y=vgb2w2

In any event, as the header pipes are at the welder, I thought I'd try to solve this.

Don't laugh, but the best I've come up with is to buy one of those cheap metal signs (e.g., KEEP OUT) I found in the hardware store. Snipped it and intend to lay a small section of it between the case and the crossover when reinstalled.

Any (polite, printable, and non-ridiculing) comments/suggestions? :luigi:

OBTW, the 3d of 3 pics poses another question, as I thought I'd make the post a twofer. :D

Bill:

Aren't you supposed to be resting those hamstrings and drinking to quell the pain?

What type of crossover do you have? Perhaps you could eliminate the contact by loosening all the clamps and fasteners and the shift everything leftward?

Screw is a 5mm by 15mm long stainless steel buttonhead cap screw, Guzzi part number 98370515.

Guest Mattress

I would prefer to try and increase the clearance when you re-assemble your exhaust. Try starting with installing the side in question, then the cross-over, then the other side. I've never removed or installed exhaust so I'm guessing a bit.

It looks like vibration between the steel pipe and softer die cast engine housing has caused this. I'm not sure steel sign protective material will work since it seems the vibrations will be transmitted if they are all in contact, only the sign strip will be wearing your case.

Unless the interference is severe, the wearing away should stop eventually once clearance is self-estabilished.

Yeah :stupid:

you can get better fit by adjusting everything when it's all loose (man). If you don't do this, you can end-up out of line, with parts of the exhaust sitting tight against the motor, as you have experienced.

So it should be straight forward – slacken off, adjust (you might need to unleash the brute within), tighten a bit, crtically admire effect, if things are looking dandy then tighten more. Stop tightening before you break something.

PS, when I said, adjust everything, when it's all loose, I didn't mean everything and all. Just your exhaust system. From the headers back. Engine and wheels and stuff can stay where they are... ahem