V11 Lemans VS. R1100 S

Guest Ridin'High

Guest Ridin'High

Alright guys I need to make a decision when I get home, and I think that I have it narrowed down to two bikes. Have any of you ridden both the R 1100? It seems to be the natural enemy to the Lemans 1100 V-twin European character, around the same power. Both I think are beautifu bikes. So what can you say about handling, power, range, comfort and reliabilty? I need a bike that I can seriously cover a lot of miles at a decent speed and then have a great time once I get where I am going. The 675 is phenominal but not a long distance bike and the Hawk is not big enough for serious touring. Also I am on a bit a budget, and it looks like I can find a nice clean Lemans or R 1100 S sport cup prep for about $7k US.

Thanks guys,

Greg

I have never ridden one but many think the BMW is a fine bike- I know someone with a Boxer Cup replica and it goes well.

But ask yourself one question- do you prefer sexy Italian ladies, or big fat German blokes in leather shorts?

This will help you decide.

Guy :helmet:

The BMW's are nice, but the BIG deciding factor for me happens when you mash the starter button. The BMW sounds, umm, kinda cheesy to me. Really lame, actually. :mg:

As far as ergos, comfort, etc... I think the Goose is fine. Of course with any bike, it takes a little conditioning (and some rubber hose on the foot pegs) before your body will allow any real mileage. Personally I've covered 10,000 this year with no real problems, and range/reliability has been great. Around 75-85 mph on the highway gets me around 170-180/tank, and that number goes way up if you drop the speed down to around 60.

It's all wind in the face, after all, but I'm a bit partial to the LeMans in the end.

I've had alot of seat time on my buddies 1100S, low bar model. And I've ridden a local Lemans a couple months ago, as well as my own V11, entering 40,000kmsonto the odometer in 4 yrs.

The Beemer is a better handling bike, the front suspension of the newer Beemers is really a relevation. Equipped with the ABS, it will take getting used to, but once the feel is there, the brakes, and manner the bike handles under braking is impressive. Factory luggage is very handy, and works well. Throw in the standard equipment heated handgrips. On the other hand, oilhead Beemers burn an unusual amount of oil if run in hot weather, the engine has virtually no appeal, or viseral feedback, even if it has a performance pipe, absolutely emotionless.

The Lemans has better fairing protection, better mileage, better gearbox, very similar riding position, with slightly less leg room, arguably better looks, surprisingly similar reliabilty, and easier self tune up. The big thing is the engine, which is literally alive, huge character and feedback. On the other hand, the factory luggage available for the V11 series is no match for the beemer, nor is it a match for two up touring in comfort.

They are so similar yet so very different!

Ciao, Steve

Iv'e ridden the new s madel BMW and wasn't overwhelmed with it. I has great low end power but the new S model is no sport toring bike of any sort. I ride occasionally with a couple of guys with 04 S models which are a suitable ride for sport touring, the hard BMW bags are really nice and the bike a genuine sport tourer. As handling goes neither of those compares to my ohlins equipped Rosso, even the 06 S felt sluggish and heavy in the front end not really awe inspiring. As far as sport touring with the Guzzi LeMans I think it works great, some mods such as bar risers , taller screen and bags (Tekno or Hepco-Becker) make it an offical sports touring bike, but much of the setup is a personal choice thing. Iv'e done some two up trips on mine and it was perfect, no cushy Gold Wing but real nice in the twisties, the Tekno bags worked great and overall I has pleased.

waspp

I've done a few 2-3000 mile trips on my LeMans and many weekends of around 1000mi usually

with a flock of Beemers. A choice between an RT and my LeMans, the LeMans wins hands down.

The R R on the other hand is a pretty playful puppy and though I've never staddled an RS I would think

it would be even more so. Had I to start over I would be tempted by the Beemers for these reasons.

1. Luggage...ya can't beat the Beemers.

2. Dependability...though I've never had a problem on the road (except the rear wheel bearing @ 20Kmi !) I'm always pensive about one of the MGs "charecter" issues

when I'm 1500mi from home..or a MG shop.

3 Electronics.......Heated grips..heated seat...heated vest...driving lights...I'm going to install heated grips

soon but my stomach churns at the thought of putting any strain on the Guzzis puny charging sys.

The fairing provides zero protection.

On the other hand the Beemer feel is completly Gay...not that there's anything wrong with that. :P

My resolution is ...next bike...Ducati ...ST ...or DS...best built thing I've ever seen. Simple, dependable and straight forward.

( unless I get more confidence in the LeMans..I'll definately campaign it for another year...26Kmi on the clock now and I get more confident all the time)

Good luck and check out the Ducs...NO...They are EASY to maintain.