Mounting the Guzzi Titanium exhausts

Admin Jaap

A few weeks ago Luhbo made me an offer I couldn't refuse; I bought his Guzzi Ti racing kit. Today I finally found time to mount it. No problem, but I can't get the two mufflers parallel.

I have used the brackets that came along with the set. Only thing I can think off that could cause problems is the Mistral X-over.

My question: did I do it correctly? I attached I few pics, so you can figure out how I did it.

(BTW, the sound.... :notworthy: )

uitlaat_001__Medium_.jpg

uitlaat_002__Medium_.jpg

uitlaat_003__Medium_.jpg

uitlaat_005__Medium_.jpg

Yes, the sound . . .

We've put on dozen of these sets, and each one ends up being slightly different in position than every other installation.

Keep all the clamps loose while fitting and adjusting position of the mufflers. Twist the inlet pipes one direction and then wiggle the mufflers to try and get them to settle where your eye tells you is the right position. This is difficult to judge because the main points of reference (passenger-peg brackets and swingarm) are not parallel or symmetrical. You can even try reversing the position of the band-type muffler hangers or sliding them foreward or aftward on the muffler to subtley change position of the mufflers.

In general, try to move each muffler through the above means until each muffler is as close to the centerline of the bike as it will go. Then do fine adjustment for symmetry after that.

Good luck!

:mg: Hi Jaap, when I have the MG Ti Kit on my Tenni I have try many times to fit the "silencier" in parallel position but this is impossible :luigi: also with Stucchi cross-over is more difficult than the original "X". I have solved the problem with Magni exhaust,they fit perfectly :D Ciao Giovanni

A few weeks ago Luhbo made me an offer I couldn't refuse; I bought his Guzzi Ti racing kit. Today I finally found time to mount it. No problem, but I can't get the two mufflers parallel.

I have used the brackets that came along with the set. Only thing I can think off that could cause problems is the Mistral X-over.

My question: did I do it correctly? I attached I few pics, so you can figure out how I did it.

(BTW, the sound.... :notworthy: )

Don't measure how they look from the side but look at them from the back side to notice differences.

If there is happening that with other exausts may not be at the same height then perhaps you don't have to

worry. Besides when you ride you don't look at the exausts if they are side to side OK , you listen to the sound and you enjoy the performance. ;)

Mine are not in the same height , have you noticed it?.Even though my bike hangs on the official guzzi site. B)

You have the bands very close to the front of the cans. With some fiddling they can be mounted a little further back to give slightly better suport.

Old picture here

from old post

I also lowered these a bit, so that they were away from the indicator lights that I fitted

post-890-1115154401.jpg

Oh, BTW, do you mean not parallel or not the same length?

Not being the same length (or not finishing at the same distance back as well as not being the same distance out) is, unfortunately, a Guzzi feature.

As in the old post: it's a pity that Guzzi don't bother to make the pipes 'handed' for each side, especially given the price.

I have convinced myself that about an inch off one of the fwd downpipes (sorry, I do not remember which one) where it meets my Stucchi X-over would put the X-over in a better position to allow the silencers to line up correctly. I ended up on this little expedition before testing the theory with a proper saw, however, so cannot report that I am right. :luigi: k

Awwwww, I want someone to make me an offer I can't refuse. :angry:

:huh2:

Those pipes look great and I've heard them in person I like them but I still like the deeper throater FBF cans I do have but the looks of the MG ti's trump anything out there IMHO.

getting them near perfect will be near impossible. just fiddle with'em enough so its not too noticable or plan on cutting and/or bending some pipe I imagine. :rasta:

or bending some pipe I imagine. :rasta:

Bending a short bit of pipe and keeping dimensions right isn't as easy as imagining it!

Not without a tooled-up metal shop anyway.

Bending a short bit of pipe and keeping dimensions right isn't as easy as imagining it!

Not without a tooled-up metal shop anyway.

Well yeah, but if you have access to a mandrel bender, now thats a different story, I do not have such access but maybe jaap does -_-

A picture does not show. On the engine side the right muffler starts about 4 cms lower than the left...

Just leave it. I've just the same problem. With the Tis on a mistral Xover, the left (when standing behind the bike) is 2-3 cms shorter than the right one, and hangs lower. I think I spent about 8 sweaty working hour, six pints and a lot of swearing to get them aligned and in the end I just let them be in the best position I couid manage. With all the fiddling I risked destroying the finish on the cans.

I think the problem with them is that they are made symmetrical, but the bike is really quite assymmetrical with differences from left to right on many things.

To be honest, this pisses me off... Such a bad fitting and such big bucks.

It's not that difficult to produce a fitting set; the Mistrals fit perfectly!

Now, any suggestions besides booze, drugs or women, to get over the frustration? :D