New Pipes and Filter

The Foggster

Hello to one and all.

I have recently purchased a 2002 V11 Lemans. I have limited funds but some good friends. What I need is some sound advice. The bike is standard but I have been offered some alloy 'Carbon Can Co' track exhausts from a TLR 1000 Suzuki. I also have a friend who can make me up some extensions so that they can be mated to the existing pipework. Being short of knowledge and cash are the following worthwhile:

A powercommander - or will the existing fuel injection system automatically adjust the mixture accordingly.

A crossover pipe - I take it this is a pipe that links the headers with the Lanfranconi originals. Is this pipe restricted?

A K&N filter, also I have read some people leave the airfilter lid off. Does this work, which is the best aftermarket filter.

Finally I am not interested about top end. I want mid range and an improvement in fuel economy would be nice as I do a lot of touring.

<_>

Hello to one and all.

I have recently purchased a 2002 V11 Lemans. [1] I have limited funds but some good friends. What I need is some sound advice. The bike is standard but I have been offered some alloy 'Carbon Can Co' track exhausts from a TLR 1000 Suzuki. I also have a friend who can make me up some extensions so that they can be mated to the existing pipework.[2] Being short of knowledge and cash[3] are the following worthwhile:

A powercommander - or will the existing fuel injection system automatically adjust the mixture accordingly.[4]

A crossover pipe - I take it this is a pipe that links the headers with the Lanfranconi originals. Is this pipe restricted?[5]

A K&N filter, also I have read some people leave the airfilter lid off. Does this work, which is the best aftermarket filter.[5]

Finally I am not interested about top end. I want mid range and an improvement in fuel economy would be nice as I do a lot of touring.

Dear Fineas[6]:

[1] - Congrats!

[2] - It's good to have handy friends like this! Sounds like you'll save some reasonable wt. over the stock Termi exhausts, & probably get to hear your Guzzi's singing voice a bit better... ;)

[3] - Sounds (unfortunately) familiar... at least the "cash" part! :doh:

[4] - Stock injection is Alfa-N system, meaning everything runs off the map with the assumption that there've been no changes to the as-delivered (tested) setup. So if you make the changes you're talking about, a PCIII is in order.

[5] - The stock x-over has a sound deadening element in it, but it's so capacious that it doesn't really add much in the way of restriction. However, there are improvements to the shape of the midrange power-band to be had from upgrading to the Stucchi x-over.

[6] - Gratuitous literary reference.

Hope this helps!

:bike:

Dear Fineas[6]:

[1] - Congrats!

[2] - It's good to have handy friends like this! Sounds like you'll save some reasonable wt. over the stock Termi exhausts, & probably get to hear your Guzzi's singing voice a bit better... ;)

[3] - Sounds (unfortunately) familiar... at least the "cash" part! :doh:

[4] - Stock injection is Alfa-N system, meaning everything runs off the map with the assumption that there've been no changes to the as-delivered (tested) setup. So if you make the changes you're talking about, a PCIII is in order.

[5] - The stock x-over has a sound deadening element in it, but it's so capacious that it doesn't really add much in the way of restriction. However, there are improvements to the shape of the midrange power-band to be had from upgrading to the Stucchi x-over.

[6] - Gratuitous literary reference.

Hope this helps!

:bike:

Many thanks Skeeve thats just what I wanted to know. Pity about the PC 111, but I will have to bite the bullett.

Many thanks Skeeve thats just what I wanted to know. Pity about the PC 111, but I will have to bite the bullett.

A simple rule of the thumb if you are in a budget and without having to (or want to)change fuel mapings (at least on open loop ECU guzzis) ,

ect.ect. and it works , is : either 'open' crossover and normal exhaust , or the stock crossover and open exausts. You can add a K&N type of filter but removing the cup over is more hype , than performance.

If you change all it would be better to do some mapping,mostly for taking advantage of what you have

and :2c: AFAIK (though i #m not an expert on this)) the engine won't be in trouble without mapping, that would happen in a open loop ECU bike, like mine that I had to replace my chip after.. Your ECU is working closed loop , and it is self adjusting the new data cause of the setup(air mostly) to perform the same lean or rich fuel map to the injectors as it was programmed to do, take a hint here

Closed Loop Operation

Example from Cliff's site (also a valuable member here) who has succesfully developed a new adjustable ECU unit for replacing Marelli.Perhaps he can accurately explain all these necessities about this subject to you and correct me as well if I'm out of the subject.

If you are really in a budget get the X-over and the K&N filter ,some more midrange tourgue will be more usefull as well.

If you opt for the sounds then an open exhaust is the choice

:2c: Personally I find the sound and the looks of the Mistrals very atractive, besides they are made in Mandello from people who worked to Lanfranconi for years, Agostini sell them as well.

.,The titanium exausts the company issued ia also an option but these are too pricey.

Then there are the Quat D exausts , system without back end pipes that mounts a big box where the crossover is , but to my that sounds a bit Harleyish

Termignonis is another solution as a performance exhaust and there is a set for sale in ebay (if not already gone) full set front pipes+crossover+Carbon pipes at set at a bargain starting price 400GBP (of cource new)

There are of cource many other exhausts people use, searching at the forum will give you many results.

Get parts that are designed for your bike to therefore have your mind at ease, believe me it will cost you less in the long process

:bier:

A simple rule of the thumb if you are in a budget and without having to (or want to)change fuel mapings (at least on open loop ECU guzzis) ,

ect.ect. and it works , is : either 'open' crossover and normal exhaust , or the stock crossover and open exausts. You can add a K&N type of filter but removing the cup over is more hype , than performance.

If you change all it would be better to do some mapping,mostly for taking advantage of what you have

and :2c: AFAIK (though i #m not an expert on this)) the engine won't be in trouble without mapping, that would happen in a open loop ECU bike, like mine that I had to replace my chip after.. Your ECU is working closed loop , and it is self adjusting the new data cause of the setup(air mostly) to perform the same lean or rich fuel map to the injectors as it was programmed to do, take a hint here

Closed Loop Operation

Example from Cliff's site (also a valuable member here) who has succesfully developed a new adjustable ECU unit for replacing Marelli.Perhaps he can accurately explain all these necessities about this subject to you and correct me as well if I'm out of the subject.

If you are really in a budget get the X-over and the K&N filter ,some more midrange tourgue will be more usefull as well.

If you opt for the sounds then an open exhaust is the choice

:2c: Personally I find the sound and the looks of the Mistrals very atractive, besides they are made in Mandello from people who worked to Lanfranconi for years, Agostini sell them as well.

.,The titanium exausts the company issued ia also an option but these are too pricey.

Then there are the Quat D exausts , system without back end pipes that mounts a big box where the crossover is , but to my that sounds a bit Harleyish

Termignonis is another solution as a performance exhaust and there is a set for sale in ebay (if not already gone) full set front pipes+crossover+Carbon pipes at set at a bargain starting price 400GBP (of cource new)

There are of cource many other exhausts people use, searching at the forum will give you many results.

Get parts that are designed for your bike to therefore have your mind at ease, believe me it will cost you less in the long process

:bier:

many thanks,

Ther is a lot to digest. It looks like I will get the connector pipe made and put the open cans on. I will by then hopefully have met other V11 owners who have made mods. I can then compare and see if it is worth paying for a PC 111