mechanical idiot-help

Guest citimoto

Guest citimoto

ok- I am not the worlds greatest mechanic and electrical issues are especially difficult for me. the headlight, tail light, and idiot lights (except for oil during startup) are not working. My brake light and indicators work fine as does the indicator idiot light. Does this sound like a fuse issue or something more puzzling. help.

ok- I am not the worlds greatest mechanic and electrical issues are especially difficult for me. the headlight, tail light, and idiot lights (except for oil during startup) are not working. My brake light and indicators work fine as does the indicator idiot light. Does this sound like a fuse issue or something more puzzling. help.

Does your headlight work?

I had one of the wires come adrift inside my ignition switch. Was an intermittent fault which got worse with the more steering lock applied as it worked itself loose and then permanent. Unless you ride a bit at night you wouldn't necessarily see this one develop.

The fix was a simple solder connection/jump across to the other feed.

Carl has good colour schematics on his site which might help get an over picture on what is going on :thumbsup:

:homer: Just reread it - mine was the other way around I had Head and tail light and lost brake , indicators and instrument back lights. Yours could be the other wire or I'd guess fuse etc but I've not checked the schematics

Edited by Martin Barrett

Guest citimoto

actually my brake lights arent working either. Thanks for the input guys. Its hurting my head to think through this. I might have to let it percolate a bit.

actually my brake lights arent working either. Thanks for the input guys. Its hurting my head to think through this. I might have to let it percolate a bit.

It reads like you need Pyro Dan's GEI relays,

http://www.dpguzzi.com/relay.htm

You'll need atleast one to replace your starter relay.

To test, simply swap the relay with another.

To recognize the starter relay, it is the only one that jacks into a socket where five contacts are installed. The other relay sockets utilize four contacts.

See Carl's diagram

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/sch...9_V11_sport.gif

notice how all the relays have four wires going to them, but the starter relay has five wires going to it.

The fifth wire puts too heavy of a load on the relay, as the stock relays are close to the margin of handling that load through that terminal. It carries the load of the items that are not working for you.