MG 1200 Sport!!

gargoyle

Guest Barnapkin

I think I paid $9K for my lemans, and I really enjoy it. Since I live in the midwest now, the V11 is a better all round bike than my ducks. Too much flatness, and not enough turns. The v11 is at least sporty enough, so when I do encounter a section of "fun" roads, I'm not dissapointed.

My wife (monster) and I (V11) rode down to GA,TN, and NC last month (saw lots of HDs on trailers!), and I doubt that there are many bikes that are as rewarding to ride. Swapped with a friends interceptor, and the thing was devoid of everything. I cracked the throttle at 3Krpm, and nothing happened. Did hear a slight exhaust tone change. V2 torque will spoil you rotten.

I agree with the post that followed my earlier one, MG is not about cheap. I wouldn't expect that from them. But in order to have the $$ to develop better bikes in the future, they need to have a volume bike that will sell. R&D dollars must come from someplace other than another bailout. That was the point I was trying to make. I'd like to see MG survive because they are self sufficient, not because of the mercy of the bankrupcy courts.

Yep , the way they want to , but that's a luxury we are ''allowed'' to have and indeed is a luxury not a necessity.

If you had a japanese bike for instance , these cheap quality things you'll need at least some thousand $$ to improve the suspension and the brakes (at least brake disks that the default ones wear out after20-30K km) And there if you look at magazine there are $$$ going on for improving high engine performance, suggested to the people , things that they of cource don't need

Moto Guzzis are mostly hand build and with good quality components, how that can get to ''chaep'' prices?

Guzzi never was on that league of chaepness in components and I hope they never will.

Besides, Guzzi doesn't have the potencial to reach production numbers of BMW or Ducati, all they need for me is a good sales and service network.

Guzzis are exclusive bikes and I hope they'll remain so.

Actually, it's because Moto Guzzi has been on such a fragile financial footing for decades now, that the sourced componentry has been brought down to a price rather than up to a quality. Back in the 70's and 80's when they could have easily sourced better, perhaps the best components of the day from companies like Nippon Denso and Bosch [like Laverda], it was fiscally forced to use Marelli and Veglia.

Regarding the price of M.G.'s, the higher costs are directly associated both limited production numbers, and the 'hand made' nature of the bikes. Automation would reduce the cost of each bike, even higher production numbers alone would do it, to spread out the costs of 'non-charge out ' labour, like management, secretarial, engineering, and other needed staff, who do not actually build the bikes. But to introduce automation means capital investment. As they say, if v-twins is what you make, and you can't afford re-tooling, v-twins is what you make!

Ciao, Steve

Actually, it's because Moto Guzzi has been on such a fragile financial footing for decades now, that the sourced componentry has been brought down to a price rather than up to a quality.

Ciao, Steve

I agree.

A quick look at the brakes Guzzi is sourcing from Brembo indicates exactly what you are pointing out. The master cylinders, calipers and rotors are sourced from near the bottom of Brembo's line not the top. My Nero Corsa came equipped with the cheap steel-carrier rotors and old-tech master cylinders. Compare what is on any LeMans to what is on a Ducati 999 and you will see what I mean.

Dropping the tubeless wheels from most of the California line back in 2001 was another example of bringing quality down to a price.