Sunday Night Technical Trivia

Guest Mattress

Guest Mattress

I bought a pair of square fin cylinder heads that had been modified by Raceco (Manfred's old outfit). I bought them used and don't know what they are compatible with, in fact I only bought them cause in a moment of passion I was thinking of building a Cafe racer off of a Tonti frame.

The seller couldn't tell me much. The right hand cylinder head has part number 28.02.23.00. I couldn't find this series in Guzziology. Any ideas?

They are dual plugged, tubbed, ported and looks like valve springs might be upgraded. (RHS is stamped Raceco 585).

The LHS head is burried in the closet but has corresponding LHS part number and Raceco 585A.

:race:

I bought a pair of square fin cylinder heads that had been modified by Raceco (Manfred's old outfit). I bought them used and don't know what they are compatible with, in fact I only bought them cause in a moment of passion I was thinking of building a Cafe racer off of a Tonti frame.

The seller couldn't tell me much. The right hand cylinder head has part number 28.02.23.00. I couldn't find this series in Guzziology. Any ideas?

They are dual plugged, tubbed, ported and looks like valve springs might be upgraded. (RHS is stamped Raceco 585).

The LHS head is burried in the closet but has corresponding LHS part number and Raceco 585A.

:race:

A-HA! I wondered who won that auction on eBay! Wish I could help you, but can only offer conjecture & hints: First off, measure the diameter of the valve heads & combustion chamber; this basic info will tell you whether it's a 850 or 1000, and whether it's a big-valve or medium-valve head [safe bet it's not a small-valve! Actually, I'd give odds it's a big-valve, since I kinda doubt Raceco would have even bothered building a middy for racing, but then I'm a clueless nooB at this, so feel safe to ignore my WAGs... ;) ]

Once you know if it's an 850 or 1000, you'll pretty much know what it fits, since there weren't a huge number of models of either displacement made, and the valve sizes would give you the type of piston needed to work with them...

Like I said, it's just my guess, but Cowboy Pete [he's a roper don'cha know! ;) ] can weigh in & critique this approach.

Best o' luck w/ your fancy go-fast parts! :thumbsup:

:mg:

Guest Mattress

A-HA! I wondered who won that auction on eBay! Wish I could help you, but can only offer conjecture & hints: First off, measure the diameter of the valve heads & combustion chamber; this basic info will tell you whether it's a 850 or 1000, and whether it's a big-valve or medium-valve head [safe bet it's not a small-valve! Actually, I'd give odds it's a big-valve, since I kinda doubt Raceco would have even bothered building a middy for racing, but then I'm a clueless nooB at this, so feel safe to ignore my WAGs... ;) ]

Once you know if it's an 850 or 1000, you'll pretty much know what it fits, since there weren't a huge number of models of either displacement made, and the valve sizes would give you the type of piston needed to work with them...

Like I said, it's just my guess, but Cowboy Pete [he's a roper don'cha know! ;) ] can weigh in & critique this approach.

Best o' luck w/ your fancy go-fast parts! :thumbsup:

:mg:

Thanks for the tips. I'll do some careful measuring. I'm betting they fit the latter 1000cc square fin engines. I don't have immediate plans now to use them, but will keep them for some future project. At the time I had all kinds of fantastic custom builds dancing like sugar plums in my head. Then I looked at my bank balance....... :huh: