Trying to Keep up with Carl Allison!

Bill Hagan

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Norge the choice of retired servicemen :D

MPH the only place in the USA to buy a Norge :mg:

I know MPH has a reputation for great service, and I realize that Carl only had a few hundred miles to truck the bike back, as if it were a Harley custom nut rattler, :P but all the way from Atlanta???? Do you guys HATE your local dealers, or is MPH getting them grey market? Or are they the only ones ordering them from Piaggio? Did MPH offer a better price?

By the way, I am not one to talk about supporting local dealers, as I went 300 miles to save $1000.

Enjoy the bikes, Carl and Bill. People who have ridden them, really enjoyed them :grin:

I know MPH has a reputation for great service, and I realize that Carl only had a few hundred miles to truck the bike back, as if it were a Harley custom nut rattler, :P but all the way from Atlanta???? Do you guys HATE your local dealers, or is MPH getting them grey market? Or are they the only ones ordering them from Piaggio? Did MPH offer a better price?

By the way, I am not one to talk about supporting local dealers, as I went 300 miles to save $1000.

Enjoy the bikes, Carl and Bill. People who have ridden them, really enjoyed them :grin:

Fair question. Here's what I just posted n w/g on same issue:

As I think I mentioned, I believe in supporting my local dealer--whether we are talking Guzzis or most anything else. No need to belabor the "why," as I think that's been discussed here at length. So, I went to ATD first. They have, btw, been quite good to me over the past few years, but I don't have time now to list any particulars. When they could not pop a red Norge, however, I had to go elsewhere.

Of the dealers I know from here, that meant MPH, Speakers, or Moto-Int'l. Distance made the last a bit problematic, but more from time than actual mileage, at least if one rode back, and how could you not? I have heard nothing but good things about Speakers, particularly from mojohand, who bought both of his Brevas from Jason. And, I regretted missing a visit when up there at the WET Ohio rally over Labor Day. Plus, Jason e/m'ed me on an issue recently, so I appreciated his caring ... especially as this was while he was still in "brand new daddy" status.

So, based on my observations and other exchanges, I thought that both M-I and Speakers met the same sort of "test" that Dean mentions and Todd confirmed.

The reason I went to MPH, tho, was because, in addition to that, I have had several (rather small) business dealings with MPH in which they had gone the extra mile (something I think both M-I and Speakers would have done, had I ordered from them) and--possibly this is the real reason--I still had some guilt about not buying a Scura back in '03 when I bought the Ballabio. Both Havens "wasted" a bit of time with me, educating me on V11 Sport variants. I really appreciated that, even tho I did not buy the Scura.

So, while it took 3 years to germinate, the seed of treating a customer well bore fruit.

Oh, another thing, ATD called me this a.m., and asked me not to "do anything rash," as they just had a Ducati ST3s with ABS delivered, and they wanted me to take it home for awhile. Well, I told 'em I'd already decided, but appreciated the offer. They said it still stood. That's pretty good customer relations, too. I will continue to send customers their way ... for Ducatis, MV Agustas, and Triumphs, anyway.

Bill

Carl only had a few hundred miles to truck the bike back, as if it were a Harley custom nut rattler

Smarty. <_ it was the morning i left and most of route would be in low coming back so opted to do safe thing since don have clothing support a mile trip that kind weather. really preferred ride.>

It isn't that we hate our local dealers but most dealers (unfortunately) on this side of the pond are so bad about their customer service regarding Guzzis that once we find a good dealer we are more than happy to give them our business.

I live in Virginia... there are 2 dealers here. One is 85 miles from me, and happens to be the place where I bought my Coppa Italia... they also carry Ducati, Triumph, Victory and Polaris... I have had many issues with them -- mostly about them not being able to get hangers for my Ti pipes... My last telephone conversation with them about service ended with them saying to me, "You know... we can't do any service on Guzzis anymore... other than basic oil changes." That is all I needed to hear -- never going back. The other dealer is about 100 miles from me and they just got their franchise this year. About 20 of us with Guzzis went there after a lunch in October and talked with the owner, looked around the shop, etc... They also sell custom choppers ($30k+) and KTM dirt bikes -- don't ask me how they'll stay in business... my guess is they won't... at least insofar as Guzzis are concerned.

There is a dealer in Maryland about 60 miles from me -- I went there for an open-house earlier this year to see the new Grisos... they are a Ducati/Guzzi dealer... that's it. I had them install the Roper sloppage sheet and do a 4,000 mile service on my bike... totally cool people and would go back there again for service if I need to. They even had a new Norge and Cal Vintage on the floor last weekend.

The problem is -- and one of the reasons Bill had to go all the way to Houston from Atlanta (+/- 1,500 miles from home) to get the RED Norge is becase the rumor had been that the US was only going to receive Silver for model year 2007. Then, literally last week, a memo came out that 8 red Norge were in the country and going to be delivered to "preferred" dealers. As you can imagine -- there are probably 3 or 4 of those types of dealers in the states. One is MI in Seattle (only about 3,000 miles from Bill) another would be MPH... and there are probably a few others.

Sorry it took me so long to say that.

Cheers.

Congrats again, Bill.

Smarty. <_ it was the morning i left and most of route would be in low coming back so opted to do safe thing since don have clothing support a mile trip that kind weather. really preferred ride.>

I was just joshing you. It is better you break it in properly rather than 500 shivering white knuckle miles :grin:

Thanks for the replies Sean and Bill.

But I second the motion for pictures of the red-one.

Congratulations Bill.

I hope to hear lots about it!

I was at the Seattle bike show last wk, and the rep there said only silver for USA in 07. There you go!

Ciao, Steve

The Canadian dealers have been told the same!

I'll have to let Gord know about this!

Cheers

Jim