Where is the Cat ?

Guest wadham

Hi

I have just bought my first ever Guzzi, a V11 Ballabio 2003 model with 180 rear tyre, lamba sensor etc.

It was brand new, unused and gorgeous, having been sat in a dealers showroom waiting for me to rescue it. :)

The first time I filled it with fuel, 250yds from the dealer, it all poured out of the overflow pipe under the bike until the tank was half empty. I closed the garage down for half a day until they cleared the spill up. The dealer found that the overflow pipe was holed inside the tank and a new tank is on order from MG.

I have now done 450 mile in the week I have owned it and the left front fork (Marzochi) has spilled oil as the seal has given way. The dealer will change both of the fork seals at the first service. I bought a BMW that had the same fork leak problem so that does not worry me.

Has this put me off - NO.

I love the bike, it handles really well and has that lumpy V twin engine that makes it the perfect fun bike. I have always wanted a Guzzi since the 70's when a friend had a California LAPD and the Le Mans looked so good, but I stuck with others because of the reliability concerns I had.

I also own a BMW K1200GT (2006 model) which is a superb tourer.

Anyway, I have a question.

I have changed the exhaust end cans for Mistral units. These are the EC road legal ones with the removable baffle. I was told that the Catalytic converter was in the cross over pipes under the engine where the Lamba sensor is connected. Today I spoke to a dealer who told me that the Cat's were in the end cans that I have already replaced. I was going to buy a replacement crossover unit with Lamba sensor but if there is no Cat in there there seems little point in doing so. So, where is the Cat located ?

Thanks in anticipation.

:!:

There's two

one in the book depository

and another on the grassy knoll

Welcome

Sweet,

How long U been waiting for someone to post that question ?

:)

Your dealer is right, the cat is in the mufflers on both sides

BTW, congrats on your bike and welcome to this forum!

Thanks

You have saved me £199.

Guest Mattress

I was going to buy a replacement crossover unit with Lamba sensor but if there is no Cat in there there seems little point in doing so. So, where is the Cat located ?

Thanks in anticipation.

I might be wrong, but I think you need to keep your Lamba sensor so the ECU can use the feedback to adjust the fuel injection map. I don't think it matters that you ditched your cats.

I might be wrong, but I think you need to keep your Lamba sensor so the ECU can use the feedback to adjust the fuel injection map. I don't think it matters that you ditched your cats.

Thanks for the replies, I intend to keep the original pipework under the engine, with Lamba sensor attached.

Its working very well with the Mistral end cans and baffles in. Sounds much better than standard without being too noisy.

Guest Mattress

Thanks for the replies, I intend to keep the original pipework under the engine, with Lamba sensor attached.

Its working very well with the Mistral end cans and baffles in. Sounds much better than standard without being too noisy.

If you end up wanting more sound in the future, I think you could still install an aftermarket cross-over like a Stucchi. Just have a fitting welded on it for the Lamba sensor. I think I've read of others doing this on their Euro spec bikes.