Changing tyres

Guest Nigelstephens

Guest Nigelstephens

I have always changed my own tyres on bikes. But after a break of 2 years from bikes I had forgotten the easy way of removing tyres and in my frustration I took up my dearest's first idea!!

I was struggling breaking the tubeless tyre away from the rim. A big problem without the tyre shop presses. She said why don't you cut the tyre in two! To entertain her idea, which on the surface should be quite logical, I attacked the tyre with a hacksaw. First the tred then the carcass then the beads: a very difficult task when they are on the rim. Alas, I struggled and could not get close enough without the risk of damage. It was then I remembered. It goes like this.

Get a 3X4 inch by 6 inch bit of wood. Get a flatter piece to go on the ground. Get your trolley jack and find the nearest car. Jack up to sufficient height and place bike wheel underneath. Use wood block positioned next to tyre bead and rim. Lower jack and bob's yer uncle. Beets hacksaw, vice or BMW stand.

Guest ratchethack

That's a new one on me, Nige. Good thinking. I got so conditioned to spooning tires off and on years ago that I wouldn't consider having a shop do it. I've often used my own custom home-made shop workbench that weighs well over a ton with tools in it as an anchor point for a long 2x4 lever on a block to break tire beads. Even made my own tire spoons out of Dupont Delrin dowel stock. :thumbsup: One time I tried to hacksaw through a stubborn tire carcass as you suggested, but gave up about a half-hour into the bead with not much progress made, except to turn a new hasksaw blade into scrap. . . . :whistle:

Today, I can't imagine how I ever had the motivation for any o' that. :blush: My local tire guy has 'em off and a new one on in a few minutes -- without a mark on the rim -- for $20. Now that I think about it, I think he only asks for $10, but I give him another $10 just 'cause I'm so happy not to be doin' it meself. :huh2:

Now THAT's wot I call Bob's my Mother's Sister's Husband (which he actually IS!) :sun:

Just take a 2x4 about 5 feet long and lay one end on the bead and jump on it. After the 2x4 breaks then get a piece of steel pipe about 1 1/2 inches diameter and have a crescent plate welded on the end and use it in a similar manner. The bead usually doesn't last more than 3 or 4 jumps!

I'll try and get some photo's next time I use it. The plate on the end is nicely rounded and so far does not mark up the rims.

Make sure that the rim is propped up un a couple of 2x4's so that the discs or such don't get hammered into the ground!