Help with an oil leak!

marcorod

Guys -

First, let me clarify I am NOT a wrench. My 2002 V11 was leaking oil from the left side head. I believed that it was coming from a leaky gasket so I removed the cover and found the gasket to be damaged. I ordered two gaskets from MPH Cycles and replaced the gasket. After closer inspection there also appears to be oil pooling in the round recess below the spark plug which has a nut.

Two questions:

What is the recommended torque for head cover screws?

What is that screw below the spark plug?

Thank in advance for your feedback!

Marco

You're talking about valve covers? They should be about 7 ft/lbs if I recall (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Anyhow- none too tight. Put a bit of old oil on both sides of the new gaskets, and bring the bolts down to touching, then just a smidge tighter and even all around. That should seal it up.

The nut under the spark plug is most likely a head nut. I don't have my bike here in front of me. They do occasionally leak from the heads, and that's usually caused by loose oil lines or a busted o-ring under one of the head nuts.

You're talking about valve covers? They should be about 7 ft/lbs if I recall (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Anyhow- none too tight. Put a bit of old oil on both sides of the new gaskets, and bring the bolts down to touching, then just a smidge tighter and even all around. That should seal it up.

The nut under the spark plug is most likely a head nut. I don't have my bike here in front of me. They do occasionally leak from the heads, and that's usually caused by loose oil lines or a busted o-ring under one of the head nuts.

I'll go with the loose oil line. It's happened to me with the same symptoms you describe.