speedometer needle

richard100t

I have a slight wobble in my speedo needle, nothing serious just within a 2 mph thing. I checked the cable where it mounts at the tranny, lubed it with RedLine shockproof. Tightened it back down & it still does the same thing. Is this a normal thing for my bike? Should I chase the line from the trans to the speedo to look for kinks? Or could it be in the speedo dial housing? The tachometer works perfectly which is funny because thats the one I hear has the most trouble. Any advice?

The tachometer works perfectly which is funny because thats the one I hear has the most trouble. Any advice?

Don't fix anything if it ain't broke. Well at least you did what you had to do , lube it precautionary,checked it and it works fine.

Mine-veglia doesn't give indication unless I go over10-15 mph/. (allways did so)

:bier:

Seems like your 2001 would have the angle drives. The one at the gear case sometimes begins to separate and will cause fluctuation. It can be removed and pressed back together.

Otherwise the Veglias often do that. Some only at low speeds , some at high. I was hoping someone would find out where to put a lttle lube in the instrument to help.

Guest Gary Cheek

Two common causes are the cable-to -housing is wearing casusing a cable surge as the cable spins. The other is some crud between the drive and driven magneteic wheel inside the speedo. Replace the speedo cable cures the first. Disasssembly and cleaning for the second.

Theres a small washer that belongs in the angle drive somewhere. I've had the whole works apart & I cant figure where that little washer came from or goes back to! I checked the pdf file & it shows the angle drive & the gear that goes into the trans but I dont see that little bugger anywhere! Does anyone know where this thing should go?

Guest ratchethack

Theres a small washer that belongs in the angle drive somewhere. I've had the whole works apart & I cant figure where that little washer came from or goes back to! I checked the pdf file & it shows the angle drive & the gear that goes into the trans but I dont see that little bugger anywhere! Does anyone know where this thing should go?

Richard, that little washer is hardened steel, and according to posts I've read (somewhere) it's been known to drop into the trans, where it can, and evidently HAS caused serious gear-consuming mayhem. :o It belongs between the cable-end and the trans, and "nomally" comes out with the worm drive when removed. Mine's still where it belongs, but I can't conceive of any reason why it's needed. :huh2:

If I were you, I wouldn't give it another thought and just leave it out, but that's just me. :huh2:

Have you lubed your cable from the top end? If you haven't, this might relieve y'er oscillating needle. Per a previous discussion here on this, you CAN safely lube the cable at the top end with trans lube without fear of contaminating the instrument, despite the unsubstantiated fears expressed here by a few about the potential of lube contamination of the speedo itself. It won't happen. I've lubed mine several times from the top over many years, and that of a Pal's LM without the worm gear drive, and we each have many dozens of thousands of miles on ours without a trace of any upward migration of lube. I've checked this out carefully: The direction of the rotation of the cable and the winding of the housing and cable in both kinds of drives ensures that migration of the lube is safely DOWNWARD, into the trans. :thumbsup:

Ride on without any cares (about THIS anyway ;) ) and be happy, my friend! :sun: