Ohlins Fork Adjustments

Greg Field

>>did you follow proper sequence in assembling the fork to assure no binding?

I'm pretty sure I got it back together exactly as it came apart, but there's no gaurantee that it was really right from the factory.

When I first fitted the legs back into the triples, I set them to the same installed height above the clamps that they were before, and the axle slipped right in, indicating that the forks were in pretty much the same alignment as when I took them apart.

I put the front wheel on with no calipers yet, tightened up the bolts on the uppers a little, took it off the jack and onto the front stand, bounced it a few times, and then torqued up all of the bolts on the triples with it sitting there with the static weight on the front end.

It seems to bounce up and down about the same as before.

Anybody have a step-by-step "Front End Assembly for Dummies" I can refer to? >8]

-Jack

Guest ratchethack

Anybody have a step-by-step "Front End Assembly for Dummies" I can refer to? >8]

-Jack

From memory now, wich ain't wot it used to be :oldgit: so caveat emptor , and I've only done this about 50 times over ownership of 12 bikes (better make that more like 100 times, since many were/still are dirt bikes), so somebody please correct me if you think I've got it wrong:

The idea is to let an undamaged fork align itself without setting it up with binding stresses. If no component is bent or tweaked, this works just fine. If any major component is not true (stanchion, fork tube, spindle, triple clamp), the fork cannot be trued. The sequence is critical:

1. With all fork components loose (brake calipers off or pads verified not contacting rotors, fender off or loose), tighten fork spindle (axle) nut to torque spec.

2. Set fork stanchions at desired height in triple clamps and tighten lower triple clamp pinch bolts evenly, alternating right to left until up to torque spec.

3. With straight-edges set across top of stanchions and across fork lowers through wheel, align top and bottom of fork in same plane by sighting across straightedges, ensuring no twist. If necessary, make sure pinch bolt at upper triple clamp steering head is loose, hold tire between knees or otherwise clamp it, and tug on bars as necessary to align.

4. Tighten upper triple clamp pinch bolt at the steering head, re-check fork for twist, and if necessary, loosen and repeat alignment, then tighten right and left side pinch-bolts evenly, alternating right to left until up to spec.

5. Bounce fork 2-3 times to settle right-hand side lower fork spindle clamp on spindle in natural location and torque pinch bolts to spec.

6. Install calipers and fender.

That should do it. :luigi: